German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

ehrlichiosis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robp

PostPosted: 10/23/07, 3:35 pm    Post subject: ehrlichiosis Reply with quote

Here we go- about a month ago, I was out hunting grouse in northern Minnesota, after words my wirehair was covered in deer ticks. I pick off as many as I could and gave him a freshener up of front line and dropped him off at a kennel for 2 weeks of training. I called the trainer/ kennel to check up on him and hear he's doing well but a little low on drive I was kinda worried and asked if maybe the dog was sick and suggested maybe a blood test to make sure he was ok - the trainer said he'd keep a eye on him so I took him for his word on it and picked up my dog the following week. Besides being a little thinner than when I dropped him off, he seemed just a little worn down. I shot a dozen chuckers over him he seemed alright
I got home and the next day he was dragging ass - his eyes were red and he did'nt eat . I made a call to my vet and brought him in for some blood work and 2 days later she called and said he tested positive for ehrlichiosis
He's on 28 days of antibiodic and taking it easy
Does anyone know about this disease or had a dog with it?
He seems to be doing better now but I was told to take it really easy on him so he does'nt relaps
I called the trainer and left a message telling him what was going on and no return call- that kinda pisses me off. Not that I think this illness is his fault I just wanted a call back.
[/u]
Appliance Brad

PostPosted: 10/29/07, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the ticks are the vector.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/06/07, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehrlichiosis affected a large number of military dogs during the Vietnam war. The ehrlichia organism is a rickettsia (Between a bacteria and a virus) Treatment was with antibiotics for 3 to 4 weeks. If it is prevalent in your area you may want to keep you dog on a low dose of antibiotics during tick season. It is also transmitted to people through a tick bite. There is no vaccine for Ehrlichiosis, tick control is the main prevention .
snips

PostPosted: 11/12/07, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you caught it early on. We had a dog here that we had in training that came down with a fever. The vet put the dog on regular antibiotics, days later the dog could not get up in the morning. Rushed the dog to vet where he stayed and then tested for that. They then put him on the correct medication. Dog got over it but lost his nose. Could not smell a bird if it jumped up his nose. Do not know why, maybe hi fever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: