German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

wiggles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wires831

PostPosted: 10/10/07, 1:20 pm    Post subject: wiggles Reply with quote

I have a new puppy that just turned 5 mo. old last week. I am trying to get him ready for conformation class(both of us). He stacks very well but if someone comes near him or talks to him other than myself, he wiggles all over. If I get too firm he throws a temper tantrum. Right now he loves other dogs and other people too. I don't want to do anything to make him become agressive or hate showing. We also go to an obediance/agility class too each week which he loves. I feel I am expecting too much too soon. He is already 23 inches tall and 50 pounds. I have had the breed since 1973 but he is different. He is extremely smart learning vocabulary and the word "find". Help.
ReeceGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/11/07, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Wiggles Reply with quote

My GWP's had the wiggles til they were about 9 months old in the conformation ring. I always found the judges to be understanding as long as they can get their hands on them and the dog is upright. Just keep working with him and make it fun. I also use something similar to happy legs to help them stand. My husband just took a peice of plywood and glued metal to it. I then took a 4 x 4 and cut four legs about 6 inches high and placed magnets on the bottom. I stack my dogs on the legs and have people go over them, they do not want to step off of the legs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wires831

PostPosted: 11/12/07, 11:51 am    Post subject: first show Reply with quote

We went to our first show this weekend. I was so pleased with his attitude. It turned out to be a very pleasant experience for the both of us. The judges were very helpful and his wiggles were not as bad as a month ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: