German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

When It's Cold Outside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holbert

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 7:55 am    Post subject: When It's Cold Outside Reply with quote

I need some advice. My two year old GWP male Yeager, lives outside in a four acre fenced area. He loves it outside. He hates it inside. Our temperatures this week are going to be in the signle digits with wind chills. I would not and cannot leave Yeager out in that. When in the past that I have had to bring him inside he gets so upset and will not sleep, eat or anything so my vet has suggested this week to just give him a little bit of a sedative. I don't feel quite good about this and wanted an opinion. Please advise. Thank you.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not give a dog sedative . . .it will lower his heartrate and if it's cold and he's outside he could die

get some dr.bach's rescue remedy, give him about 20 drops per 20 pounds and put a crate in the house, put him in there no questions asked

i would suggest you bring him inside more often so he gets used to it and that way when you "have" to do it, he won't be so restless.
walltentwire

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you realize how cool this dog is? All the stuff I read when I got a wire spoke of how they " don't make good kennel dogs...", and here's a dog that doesn't want to sleep in the house at all..... My dog may be a good hunting dog, but he's like a housecat around home here.... just a suck.... What's the background on this dog, was it raised outside as a pup? Is it a working hunting dog?, does it hunt for food loose on a farm?
does it scrap with other dogs? What's its personality like?
Just curious.... Dave in Calgary
holbert

PostPosted: 02/03/07, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeager is a hunting dog, plus my best friend. First of all didn't need the sedatives. Yeager and I are doing just fine inside. We just went on an hour off leash run, and even though he hates inside he loves the tile floor to get cooled off. When I said Yeager hates inside it meant he can't run and play, it's like he is confined in a 3700 square foot house and he hates it and just paces back and forth. This particular dog wasn't meant to be couped up inside. He loves the outdoors. He loves to play, but we are doing just great with the new stuff ducks that I have bought him inside. The new game is to throw the duck upstairs wait on the three puribred simese to hisss and then pound. This has worn him out. This dog is a great hunting dog but when it comes to simese cats he is a big baby. Yeager was crate trained and still has his big crate inside. But I don't keep him in there at night. If I'm here Yeager stays with me.
holbert

PostPosted: 02/03/07, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. As I was typing my reply I went to check on Yeager and found him on the King Size Select Comfort Bed on his back with four paws straight in the air with a stuffed duck in his mouth snoring. Trying to get picture to post.
CaptGCA

PostPosted: 02/04/07, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holbert: I've got one just like him. My Dash loves his stuffed duck and also snores w/it. George
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/04/07, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one also. Jake is 4 yrs. old. He fell asleep one night on the bed with my son. When my son woke up in the morning he went into panic mode because Jake was on his back with all 4 legs in the air. He wasn't snoring and my son thought he was dead.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/05/07, 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought mine was the only goofy one that slept like that. I always ask myself when I see mine like that "how can that be comfortable?"

Chris

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Bare

PostPosted: 03/06/07, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first GWP I was worried about, she was in Minnesota and when it was -10f I would drive around the block to see if she was alright. I would find her on top of her dog house looking around and not shaking inside of it. I think they can take colder tempertures than we think. I only brought her in when it hit -30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: