German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Looking for a Girl for Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J_K_P_E

PostPosted: 02/01/07, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Girl for Joe Reply with quote

Greetings,
I am looking for a breeding age female GWP, 2 to 3 years. She could be a field trial or conformation wash out, just needs to have good looks, disposition and desire. I intend to breed her to my male "Joe" who is a fantastic hunter and companion. Joe has passes in both AKC Junior and UKC Started as well as having won first place honors at a number of NBDCA type events. I have had a number of requests for pups from him and have at least 4 to 5 sold at this time if I can come up with a "girl friend" for him.
I am located in Western Nebraska and would also be interested just breeding him to someone elses bitch if they would be interested in expanding their blood line, (Joe has good lines).
Please contact me directly via e-mail if you have any questions.

thanks,

pat
dualgwp

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pat
As a moderator on this BB, and as a owner of GWPs I am going to try to comment on your post.

There are several things here that are bothersome.
You state a conformation or field washout are acceptable? Why? Why would you be looking for a bitch that is a washout in anything? You should be looking for bitches that are outstanding! Mediocre dogs and or bitches simply have no room in a breeding program.

You state that Joe has passes in JH. That's a good starting point for a dog, but certainly not what we hope someone looking for a stud dog considers top notch. Go get his SH, MH or a NAVHDA UT and then you possibly have something to offer as a stud dog.

How old is Joe, have you had any health clearances done on him? Are you a member of the GWPCA?

You state you have 4 or 5 people looking for puppies from Joe. Wonderful, however, how about the other 5-8 puppies you may have. Do you have actual deposits from these people?

Do you know Joe's pedigree and what his lines are known to produce? Do you know what those lines produce when crossed to other lines? Are you willing take responsibilty for and guarantee any puppy that is produced from a breeding?

Breeding quality GWP's is much more than finding any old available female, no matter how good you believe your male to be! In fact, the bitch is probably more important than the stud in the final outcome of the puppies.

And one last thought, should you find any old washout bitch to breed Joe to, and should the puppies have problems with temperment, health, hunting etc., guess who is going to get blamed? Yup, Joe! Stud dog owners need to be careful where their dog is used, and they should never agree to breed to a substandard bitch.

Just some things to ponder and think about!
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dual. Get at a minimum his MH. NAVHDA is a better route and will show you more of what the dog has. If you do this and your dog has what it takes, then people will come to you. Only breed to the best dogs.

He may be a "great" hunting dog. But then again, everyone that I know that owns a dog has the "best hunting dog they have ever seen". That is why there are tests out there with standards.

Take care,

Chris

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
J_K_P_E

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 7:13 pm    Post subject: I appriciate your thougts....... Reply with quote

I appriciate all of your thoughts...
I am not new to all of this and understand your concerns. You need to remember that there is a sub set of dog trainers and owners, like myself, that are not as concerned with ribbons hanging on the wall and bragging rights as you seem to be. I am in no way interested in compromising the breed. I thought that by coming to this board I would find people that would understand that I AM interested in putting together a good pair for breeding.
I think that I was misunderstood with my comment "wash out" what I meant by this is....
I would be interested in a dog that has good confomation and the qualities of a HT dog but perhaps not the Grand Champion that many of the breeders are looking for, if we were all expecting all of our dogs to be the best out there..... well it is just not possible for every one to have the one best dog out there.
I am taking this very seriously and I am aware of the need for evaluation both physical and pedigree and have been through all of that, Hips, eyes, thyroid.....etc. I have had conformation judged, just not in a competetion for another ribbon.
As for membership in GWPCA, I guess that I am not interested in an organization where your status is judged by how many ribbons you have on the wall and how many weekends you have spent sitting at hunt tests evaluating dogs in an unrealistic setting. Now that does not mean that if you can show me that there is value in membership beyond earning more ribbons I will be happy to send in my check. I can tell from your replies that you both are very commited to the breed and both know what you are talking about, you just need to understand that I thought that I was doing the right thing by coming to the board and GWPCA for support in finding a good dog to breed Joe with, if I was not interested in doing the right thing I could have just gone down the street to see what I could find.
I never claimed to have the "best hunting dog they have ever seen" if you do the math, well is just is not possible. What I have is a very solid dog that performs in the field, has great confomation, and a disposition that is probably better than mine......just not a lot a ribbons.

Feel free to remove this thread as moderator of this board if you think that it is neccesary to do so to protect the integrety of the breed.

I welcome any comments and would be happy to demonstrate Joe's abilities to anyone within a resonable distance as well as share is pedigree as needed.

regards,

pat
dualgwp

PostPosted: 02/02/07, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, in Sept. of 2005 you posted this to our board......
"
Greetings all,
I have an 11 month male GWP "Joey" that has been at boot camp for the last month and has one more to go. Joe seems to be doing great, this is my first "real" dog I have ever had and have had no expeirence training or personally working a dog. I would like some advice on what I will need to do once he is home, Let me explain further"

That was 2.5 yrs ago. This was your first "real" dog, and you had no experience with training or working a dog. Your words.

The best suggestion I can give you is to go back to the breeder you purchased your dog from and discuss future breedings with them. They know your dogs pedigree and the direction you should be searching.

There is more to breeding good dogs,then just finding a willing female. There is more to testing your dogs than collecting ribbons, and I hope someday you will be willing to find that out.

You may have the very best dog in the world, but no one will ever get a chance to find that out, if no one ever sees him. There may be a whole bunch of folks who would be interested in your male as a possible stud dog, but most would like some sort of proof of the dogs capabilities. That is the purpose of hunting tests, NAVHDA tests and trials. Its more than collecting a few ribbons to most who are serious about the breed.

Please also keep in mind that this board is not the appropriate place to advertise a stud dog, we have members who pay for that right on our breeders listing page.

Best of luck to you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: