German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

pancreatitis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/06/03, 10:58 am    Post subject: pancreatitis Reply with quote

Anyone here ever dealt with this in a dog? Gunner became gravely ill on thursday and spent the night in the hospital on IV's with a diagnosis of pancreatitis. We are not sure how he got it but have an idea it might be due to a large amount of a treat he was unused to having.

It is pretty scary and today he is still pretty lethargic but at least he was able to hold down water and a teaspoon of prescription dog food. He's not totally out of the woods yet but I think we have turned the corner on this.

Just wondering if anyone has actually experienced this and knows any possible long term problems. Gunner is only 7 months old. This week-end was supposed to be his first dog show too. Sad We wanted to get him some ring experience before the January specialty. Oh well, his health is the most important thing right now.

Ann
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/06/03, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancreatitis refers to the swelling and inflammation of the pancreas. Its cause is not yet understood by modern medicine, however, it appears to occur as a secondary condition, usually associated with diseases giving rise to high serum lipid level, such as Cushing's Syndrom,Diebetes and hypothyroidism. The attacks ( not the condition) are often triggered by eating table scraps and fatty food.
Dogs on corticosteroids, and dogs on constant high fat diets are also prone to pancreatis.
2 types of Pancreatis must be distinguished: acute pancreatis and Mild pancreatis.
The symptoms for acute pancreatis are sudden onset of vomiting and severe abdominal pain caused by digestive enzymes released into the pancreas and surrounding tissus. Untreated, it will lead to diarrhea, dehydration, weakness and finally shock.
The syptoms of Mild pancreatis are a distinct loss of appetite, followed by depression, intermitent diarrhea and vomitting and of course weigh loss.

Diagnosis for Acute pancreatis can be done through blood test, checking for elevated amylase and lipase level, or by ultrasound looking for enlargement of the pancreas.
Acute Pancreatis requires hospitalisation to keep the dog well hydrated through IV fluid, and to allow the pancreas to rest entirely by not allowing the dog to absorbed anything orally.

LONG TERM EFFECTS:
Following an attack of pancreatis, the pancreas may have been permanently damaged. Because the pancreas has for function 1) to allow the production of digestive enzyme, through the acinar cells, and 2) manufacture insuline, through the islet cells, should the acinar cells be destroyed, the dog will developp Pancreatis Insufficiency. If it is the Islet cells that were affected by the pancreatis attack, then the dog may develop Diabetis.
In any case, dogs who recover from acute pancreatis are likely to get other attacks, of mild or acute pancreatis. These can however be made less likely by feeding your dog in 3 small portions daily instead of one large meal, by not allowing your dog to become overweight, and by never feeding table scraps.
Should your dog have high serum lipid level, your Vet is probably going to recommend a fat restricted diet.

Good luck to you. I hope Gunner will recover soon and without any further incident. Paws and fingers crossed for both of you. Smile
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/06/03, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Pancreatitis Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to hear about Gunner. I too had the same problem with my 17 month old female. She became very ill right after returning from a dog show. I was very worried that she had picked up some type of intestinal bug. I took her to the vet after she started to vomit cream colored stomach matter. At first, they thought she may have pancreatitis, so they told me to feed her some senior diet, which is lower in fat & protein. I feed that to her for two weeks & it did the trick, now I have her back on her regular diet & she is doing great.

I have friends with Bernese Mountain Dogs & they too have this problem. They too have feed their dogs prescription diet until the bag was gone & have not had any other problems.

Good Luck!

Cathy Rolling Eyes
mwenn1

PostPosted: 09/16/06, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 6 year old GWP just had to have emergency surgery over labor day weekend for this. They removed a pancreatic mass and her spleen because the mass had started to cut off the blood supply to the spleen. They said that had we not had the surgery when we did the pancreas would have eaten itself. She was fine on a thursday morning and then by thursday evening she was not eating and vomiting. She is now recovering from her surgery, still on two antibiotics to make sure that the infections are not going to come back and are completly out of her system. She lost about 8 pounds and they have put her on a bland food diet. Hopefully when we go back after the antibiotics run out and have her blood tested we will be in the clear. She has good and bad days and still sleeps alot but is feeling much better. Hopefully we caught it in time and she will completely recover from this.

Last edited by mwenn1 on 09/18/06, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/18/06, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancreatitis is a scary thing to have happen to a dog. Glad you caught it in time!

Ann
mwenn1

PostPosted: 01/15/07, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to pass this on to you guys, when my dog got sick I racked up some huge vet bills for the surgery. Simon at the Hear Now has a Second Chance Foundation that after I told him my story sent me some money to cover a large portion of my vet bills. I am so grateful to him for the help he gave me and Jasmine.

http://www.thehearnow.com/community/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8

I recently had a chance to meet simon in person and thank him personnally for the help he gave me. He is a great guy who just has a love of animals.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: