German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Wirehairs never quit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/05/06, 10:52 am    Post subject: Wirehairs never quit! Reply with quote

We got the first bird yesterday at 8:15 am. Then we hunted hard all day and bird #2 and #3 came at 4:15 and 4:40 respectively. Could have had another, but we were finally at our limit. My GWP's, and I suspect everyone's, seem to just develop an all-day pace. They lope along very efficiently like wolves, but then get busy when they come accross scent. My young (sulking) black and white had all of the points on roosters yesterday. Both dogs pointed a number of hens. I can never get him to sit pretty for a picture! I'm glad he's coming into his own as my solid liver guy is 11 and just starting slow down a bit. I now lift him down from the truck as the day goes on because his old joints are getting stiff. My older dog "Zeke" was resting in the truck during the last push for final roosters. I hunted in northern IA and southern MN.

The gun is an old 16 gauge Remington 11 built in 1933. Quirky and effective, just like my wirehairs!

HOUNDSMAN

PostPosted: 11/13/06, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I love seeing pictures of Good old dogs with dead critters and good old guns. It just dont seem like hunting without them.
Thanks and good hunting
Finn@point

PostPosted: 11/20/06, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Nice dogs!!! I have a black and white too. Did yours have the longer hair since he/she was a pup?

Mine has had the close or flat coat but is starting to get longer hair at age 7 months.
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/21/06, 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finn@point wrote:
Dave,

Nice dogs!!! I have a black and white too. Did yours have the longer hair since he/she was a pup?

Mine has had the close or flat coat but is starting to get longer hair at age 7 months.

Finn@point, here is a picture of my lack and white as a pup. His hair did get longer as grew, but it is still a fairly harsh coat. He can sure handle the cold and snow better than my solid liver guy!

All legs!
Finn@point

PostPosted: 11/21/06, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog has a really harsh coat compared to my last wire. This one sheds way more than my first one. The hair is everywhere. My liver and white barely shed and was almost unnoticeable.

I can't figue out how to get pics up yet.

We haven't hunted too much this season, but he did get his first pheasant lastnight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: