German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

how much exercise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 02/14/03, 9:47 am    Post subject: another option Reply with quote

Another option you might consider is doing something that really engages her brain.

I have a field titled dog that is very much like the way you decribe your girl. VERY high energy. I don't have alot of access to fields and such, so I started her in agility. It's a one hour class, once a week, plus daily training in my backyard. The mental work of training in agility really settles her down. On our way home from class, she can hardly keep her eyes open in the car.

So, you may want to try channeling all that energy in a direction like that!

-Sheri
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/14/03, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sheri. Yes, I've got Matea in agility. And just for that very reason - mental stimulation. She's turning out to be a bit of a natural, so who knows how far we'll go with it. In March she'll be starting another obedience class AND Level II of agility. Gotta keep this girl busy.

As it's the dead of winter up here in Ontario, I can't exactly set up agility stuff in the back yard. I have poles, and will set them up soon. Like I said, it's all for fun, so I'm not being fanatical about it.

Matea and I also plays games in the house. I'll hide and she'll run up and down the stairs in our 3-level home. It's good exercise and stimulation.

As an update on the exercise front - Matea's graduated to a 100-foot long-line and doing great. I'm keeping our exercise to two different forests (small) and a ball field; this way - I figure - she can really learn the commands "this way" "wait up" and "here", as there aren't HUGE distractions for now, and the terrirtory's familiar to her.

I will be introducing the e-collar soon. She's been wearing it 3 weeks now but the transmitter stays at home. I'm torn between starting to use it (I'm a bit of a chickenshit on that front, even though I've read just about every article on the Internet about training w/ the e-collar) and spending a few more weeks with her on the long-line in order to better establish the notion for her that she's with me. Remember, we've had her for 6 months (got her out of rescue at 6 mos of age).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Option A: starting on the e-collar with those few commands now that she has a very good response rate to them (except when on a scent, etc), or Option B: sticking with the long-line for a few more weeks to firmly establish her boundaries and reinforce that she's with me??

Now that I've gone from a 50 to a 100' long-line, the difference if phenomenal. She's getting a lot more running, and rarely gets to the end of line without looking back for me. I'm also now not warning her when I change direction and she's getting even better at keeping an eye out for me. Again though, when she's on a trail or doing her huntin' dog thing, I'm completely irrelevant in her world. And, given that I exercise in conservation areas bordered by civilization, cars, other dogs, etc., I do need to be able to have that confidence that I can get her back no matter what. My hope is that once I can allow her even MORE freedom (with the e-collar as my backup) she'll require even less of it.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks in advance,
Illona
Kasiak

PostPosted: 03/07/03, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have all touched a subject dear to my heart. New to the breed I have a three year old "hunting machine". I honestly thought it was just my dog until I started reading other people's comments. She is a fanatnic about "huntin". As you, I was terrified of losing my dog.... I have such an investment in her emotionally (and financially) and I was a little over-protective.

What I would suggest is a tracking collar for Matea. That way you will trust that if she get's too far out of range, you can always find her. (I use an innotek track n train collar.) It gives her some room and you some peace of mind.

As far as exercise.... I was told before I got her about how much exericse this breed needs - I was told they would be unbearable in the house if you don't get them out EVERY day. My husband warned me about how much I was going to have to exerise the dog!

Not the case with mine. We usually get out a few times a week for good exercise, but she certainly seems very happy to just lounge around the house and be a couch potato with me!

She is a bit of a chewer so we don't trust her alone in the house, and she is a sneaky little garbage hound. Other than that, she is the sweetest and easiest dog we've had.

Good Luck!
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/14/03, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for fighting the declaration. It should be the other dogs person and not you and Menta dealing with this right now!

My 12 month old, Riley was attacked twice at the off leash near us as well so I know exactly what your going through. After the second time we resolved never to return.

However, I couldn't get Riley enough exercise with out it. Plus, the lack of socialization was causing him to go ballistic every time he saw another dog. We ended up going back and now I don't know what I would do without it. Riley is mouthy and legendary in his wrestling but has never been aggressive.

As far as exercise, I have been told that mental stimulation wears them out even more than physical stimulation. (Think about a day you worked at your desk on something really difficult. Even though your physical exertion was minimal you probably felt exhausted at the end of the day).

Clicker training is very mentally stimulating and said to help with overactive dogs. It is also the fastest, most effective, most fun training method I've ever tried. As a bonus, it will certainly help with the recall. I don't think we're supposed to recommend actual books in this forum but if you go to a good pet supply they will have books on clicking with your dog. Otherwise you should be able to order them on line.

Can't wait to hear how it goes! Hang in there and good luck.

Anne
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/15/03, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that one of the greatest way to exercise a dog with far greater needs than we are able to provide is to get one of these special attachement that fits on the bicycle. No matter in what direction the dog runs, he makes the bike go forward, without any effort from the handler. I use to run my girl like this for miles! Spring is coming soon, so why not take your bike out...
As far as your dilemma in the park is concerned, one easy solution would be for you to go back armed with a camera. Nothing speaks like a few pictures... By the way, you have the right of appeal, and in most provinces, a Good Citizen Certificate will cancell the "dangerous dog" status of your girl. Good luck Wink
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/16/03, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeri, Anne and Kasiak,

I'm sorry I've never responded to your posts from a month ago. For some reason, the forum didn't advise me there were new responses, so I'd figured the thread had gone cold.

Thank you all SO much for your comments.

Kasiak, yes, I've now got Matea working on a TriTronics Sport 60. After some trial and tribulation (mostly with me worrying about approaches and methods of training with the e-collar), I have a SUPER DOG!!! I'd spent all winter working her on a long-line (40', then 100') and teaching her the commands I knew I'd want from her with the e-collar. After a couple of weeks of teaching her the "language" of the collar through gentle escape training, she's got it. And BOY does she got it! She's a joy to take out now. We have a 4-acre woods behind our house, and I let her loose in there. It's awsome. We've even met a couple other off-leash dogs and she's like a 6-mo-old pup, belly to ground, happy, wanting to play with the senior. It's awesome. PLUS I'm able to call her away from any other dog walkers and bring her right to my side.

At this point, I'm keeping her in my sight at all times. After a few months I'll trust her more. She really does keep tabs on me, and comes flying back down the trail if I'm hiding behind a tree or have changed direction. She's great that way. I'm going to head up to my parents' 50 acres this weekend to let her really run...and actually see if she'll get herself lost. It will be good for her to have a few brief moments of panic - when I can hide and know she's not going to run into someone's back yard or something - and learn to keep a closer eye on me.

Matea sounds very much like your girl, Kasiak - a virtual hunting machine. I know other pointers and they have no where NEAR the instincts and drive this girl does. She's also a couch potatoe in the house. I've even managed to get through the occasional day with no exercise beyond the back yard. She is high energy, but not in the house. Always sleeping.

And Cheerio, I am definitely going to be working toward getting Matea her CGC certificate. Sounds like it'll be fun, and we're always looking for things to do. Already have 2 levels of obedience, 1 of agility, and will be starting another obedience and agility in the next couple weeks!

As far as the dog park, you couldn't PAY me to go back there. It's been 3 months, and Matea is a happier, more confident dog than ever before. She's mastered the e-collar and has never been happier. It's an amazing tool, but takes a lot of work to introduce and teach it properly. Done right, it's a Godsend to dog and handler. What's more, Matea is happy to meet other dogs now and is not defensive. It's like I've got a new dog. So to hell with the dog park, hello leash-free freedom!

I LOVE THIS DOG!!!!

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: