German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

male/ female

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/24/03, 5:45 pm    Post subject: male/ female Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I have read a couple different places that the male gwp can be a little more "relaxed" or "laid back" than the female. Any truth to that??

I have a female and although she's calmed down the last couple months, shes still a ball of fire (10 mo. old now)

Just wondering--thanks---
ducky

PostPosted: 03/26/03, 9:12 am    Post subject: male/female Reply with quote

I am no expert on gwp's since don't even have my puppy yet, but I have heard that both are wonderful pets but the females are easier on the house. So I guess I've heard the opposite.

Thought I'd reply, doesn't seem like a real talkative group.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 03/26/03, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Male/Female Reply with quote

Hi,

I own both sexes. My male is 8 years old & he has finally started to calm down. My female is 8 months old & is a ball of fire, but much easier to manage. My male was intact until he was 8 years old & has calmed down considerably since he has been neutered.

They both need exercise, but they are happy to play frisbee in the backyard & go for runs in the fields on the weekend.

Good Luck.

Cathy
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/26/03, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my males have been easier to live with than the girls.
The boys just seem to want to do things my way, the girls always want to think about everything first, then maybe, if the stars are aligned right, they will consider doing it my way. Consider mind you.....

There are drawbacks to both, and benefits to both. Girls come into season, boys lift their legs! Don't be fooled that the boys are more protective than the girls either.... I think my males would have given the house away, while the girls would have layed down their life to protect what they think is theirs.

Just what I've seen so far.
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/28/03, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is funny. I just talk to a breeder in western Pacific and when I asked him if there was any difference between the male and the female, he said: "well, the male is more stubborn and the female just chose to ignore you". Hummm!...
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the males easier to train overall. If you lose your temper with the females they will just turn off. The males are more resilient. They can both be excellent hunters.
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the posts, seems like its leaning that the boys may mind a little better. We've tossed around the idea of getting a male later on to breed our female. Still undecided although.
The post that thought the female may be easier on the house?, From my experience with our female, I've lost 2 pairs of my boys' shoes, took a portion of my husband's golf shoes off, a pair of some of my shoes, a few toys and what not. Definitely a chewing machine and we now put everything UP and out of her way and bought more knuckle bones for her to use her chewing energy on.
Thanks again--
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/16/03, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting conversation...

I have my first GWP and she's a girl (now 15 mos old). She is GREAT in the house. Got her out of rescue at 6-7 mos old. Crated her for a while, but now she's got free run and is left alone. I work at home so separation anxiety is always an issue. We've had her alone up to 4 1/2 hours now and she's never nothing touched. Even leave the cat out with her now!
She wasn't housetrained when we got her. It didn't take much.
She's smart as a whip. Learns quickly, but needs time to process sometimes. As for her choosing to ignore...hmm...could be something in that. I've been told many times that GWPs are stubborn. I've never seen that in this girl. She's got a VERY high hunt drive, and when this kicks in it's hard to break through to her. She shuts everything out. I've been working her with a remote collar these past few weeks and she's AWESOME!

If the previous post about boys being easier to train is true, then man! I can't wait for my first boy GWP, cuz this girl's amazing.

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: