German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

porcupine quills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/06/06, 8:45 am    Post subject: porcupine quills Reply with quote

Our dog Jake tangle with 2 porcupines. Even after my husband pulled him off he went right back after them. Anyway you can imagine the results. We got all the quills out but 1. It is imbeded in his head along his jaw line. Took him to the vet and she said to wait and see if it will come out on its own. She said that he would have to have surgery and alot of muscles would be cut to get it out that way. She also said that it shouldn't cause him any problems. I'm worried about infection. It doesn't bother him even when you check to see if its moved. Am I over re-acting?
FCwire

PostPosted: 11/06/06, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Quills Reply with quote

I read your post and am still trying to figure out where exactly the quill is - upper or lower jaw, parallel to the tooth line or against it? In the jaw itself or within the jaw muscles - ie below the eye or near the teeth? Your vet is probably right, sometimes these things will fester out on their own, but left in they can be a source of infection and could potentially migrate deeper. I would give it a couple of weeks - no more messing with it, and see if it comes out on its own. If not, consider surgery to remove it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, the muscles there are not very deep and it should disect out nicely if it remains intact (easy for me to say, sitting at my desk without the dog in front of me). Chances are he won't learn from his mistake - so take care to avoid them in the future! Good luck,
-Nick
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/06/06, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upper jaw parallel to the teeth. They believe it might have even gone into the bone. This is below is eye and just above his teeth.
FCwire

PostPosted: 11/06/06, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not much you can do about it now, eh? Try not to worry. I agree, it seems to be in a tough spot - muscles are not so much the problem, instead the nerves and tear/salivary ducts come into play. Your vet maybe just didn't want to get into the detail of how much trouble the surgery would be. Hopefully, in the muscles it will have just enough constant motion to want to migrate out. Keep your fingers crossed it doesn't want to go the other direction, though - check back with your vet in 10-14 days. (how's that for generic?) Antibiotics wouldn't be a bad idea now or in a week or so if there is no improvement....
Take care,
-Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: