German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

AKC/ILP registration of adopted GWP 'rescue'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate

PostPosted: 04/11/03, 11:21 am    Post subject: AKC/ILP registration of adopted GWP 'rescue' Reply with quote

I've adopted a GWP last year. I have been told by our dog training club instructors that I should attempt to ILP him since he is such a promising performance show prospect in obedience, agility, and tracking.
Is it possible to register this two year old, altered male GWP with a primarily black coat with some white ticking?
His previous owners, who I have lost all contact with, told me he was of European parentage and his color made him ineligible for confirmation in this country. Therefore he was considered pet-quality and placed.
I have no way of knowing if he ever had papers.
He is my first GWP, and has caused me to fall in love with the breed. I would also appreciate information about rescues and/or puppies for sale. Please help me to find out if he is eligible for ILP. He is the best dog I have ever had, and he deserves a performance show career!
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 04/11/03, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILP stands for Indefinite Listing Privledge. It means you (and the AKC) believe the dog to be purebred, but you do not have his registration papers.

A dog with an ILP listing is eligible to compete in all AKC performance events such as obedience, agility and even field, I believe. S/he is NOT eligible to compete in conformation events. S/he is also not eligible to have puppies that are registerable either.

My very first "purebred" dog was an ILP listed dog that I put a CD on. I think it's a wonderful way to compete with your companion! I believe you can even download the application for an ILP from the AKC website. http://www.akc.org

Good luck!

SilvarGWP
cheerio

PostPosted: 04/14/03, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate have you had the dog scaned for microchip? That may or may not give you registration papers, depending on the trail of ownerships behind the dog, but it could tell you where he came from. My first GWP also was a rescue, and thanks to a Microchip, we were able to trace him to a German breeder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: