German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Looking for a Gwp puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley James

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Gwp puppy Reply with quote

HI,

I'm looking for a Gwp for a friend. We are looking at puppys now but don't really know if we should get one for her. She is 18 years old and wants a Gwp before she goes to college. She is living at home so thinks she would be able to take care of it. I am kinda helping her so looking for advice on what to say to her if she can't get one or what to do. Anyone have any good advice Very Happy
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/01/03, 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is living at home and WILL take care of it. My daughter bought a Cairn terrier while she was at college. She was renting a house with 2 other girls. But living arrangements change almost every semester at college. Now she is back in the dorm and I am taking care of her dog and he lives with me. That little dog is more trouble than all 4 of my wirehairs combined. He barks more than all of them combined and he is more hyper than any of them. Just be forewarned that that dog could become your dog.
abbygwp

PostPosted: 04/03/03, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to remember these are "PEOPLE" dogs and they love their people. My dog lives in our home, with 4 people and another dog and when she thinks she is not getting enough attention she can become rather desructive. I don't know if this is typical GWP behavior or not.

These dogs need a lot of attention. You need to make sure that if you friend does not commit to this dog you will have to. They are not an easy breed and are not ususally for the "casual" dog owner.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 04/03/03, 3:17 pm    Post subject: college kids and dogs Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest she wait until she is in or has completed her first semester of college before getting the dog. Then she will know what kind of time commitment college is going to be for her and whether or not she will have the time to devote to a puppy. GWPs do require a ton of socialization and attention, particularly when they are in the young adult stage.

I've successfully placed one pup with a college girl and it worked like a dream. But I'm afraid she is the exception. I am in a major college town and at the end of each semester.. right around finals time.. the shelters here fill up with dogs and cats (and rabbits, snakes and other assorted animals) being abandoned by college kids that simply decide they don't have the time to take care of the animal.

SilvarGWP
Janet Levy

PostPosted: 04/13/03, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Wires are very active dogs. They are wonderful dogs but need attention. If your daughter is going away to College, and if you purchase a Wire Hair, it will be your dog. I would wait until she graduates from college, unless of course, you want to take care of the dog for her. Like any dog, it is a full time comittment.
Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Looking for a puppy! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: