German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Another Female GWP in Whittemore, MI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> RESCUE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 06/25/06, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, I can't tell you how torn I am about these Michigan dogs. I do live in Michigan, and I want to help so badly, but feel I don't have the resources.

First, I'm a relatively new GWP or WPG owner. My shelter rescue, Clare, was listed as WPG, but could easily be a GWP. She was about 8 mo old when I got her in March 2005. I can honestly say I've learned a lot about her type of dog, but I'm not sure I would feel confident doing an assesment on the girls in Battle Creek.

Next concern of mine, I don't have much space, including no fenced yard, and I already have two dogs. The yard hasn't been a problem for me, really. We walk the neighborhood and nearby parks often, and head for the really big parks, ie State parks, at least twice a week. This is where I allow my dogs off leash to run, but only after months of ownership and training.

I am so tempted to foster a dog in order to get it out of a shelter. But, honestly, I'm not sure I can. My best efforts at helping the dogs in need, at this time, is to spread the word among all my dog contacts. Hopefully, that and prayers or wishful thinking will bring owners to all the darling rescue dogs.

If you have thoughts or ideas to share with me, please do. I'm eager to do what I can.

Betsy
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/28/06, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being so considerate to post. There are so many things one can do besides foster...and getting the word out is the way to do it. I found out today that the younger of the 2 in Battle creek was adopted. The larger female ""Tara is still there. And the dog in Whittemore, MI is in a shelter that is not on any websites, and no photos. The Griffon people went to see her...said she is very friendly, and housebroken...It is hard. I feel so helpless for her. I have 2 very good dogs here right now, i feel they would be good hunters, and so far only a few people interested. And they are young.

My setup is good for fostering, with 3 floors and a basement walkout, the dogs have a large concrete dog room with extra large wire crates, all the dog stuff such as toys, milkbones, music with a heartbeat to quiet them down, and it walks out to a large back yard. My husband surprised me with a 7' wood plank fence slick side in around 4 years ago.....just for the Wirehairs. The nicest present he ever gave me. it took some time to get everything all set, but it works.

Thank you so much for caring...and sending on their information will help them so much! The website photos here are priceless, and the webmaster is to be commended for doing such a wonderful job!. I just wish more people would realize what wonderful dogs these are...so grateful for anything they are given. I have 3 wires of my own, and my husband and I make them the center of our lives.....we are always coming up with new ways to spend our time with them, they give us such joy.

Your dog is so lucky to have you....enjoy each and everyday. We will keep working on it, and do what we can do....is all we can do...and hope that those that do have facilities available, will help us with this end of it. Thanks for the support....I have suggested making the www.gwpca.com part of your email signature to also get the word out on them...it will help. Also, the college where I teach has started using www.goodsearch.com instead of google. Type in German Wirehaired Pointer Rescue in the Charity line, and we get a penny for each search. We just started this week and if 100 people search with this engine 2x a day, we could have 7,300.00 in one year. That would go far..we could fly dogs to homes that could accomodate them.

Thanks so much again for your support..

Mary
www.gwpca.com
"A Licensed Shelter/Fosterhome network for Wires in Need"
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 06/29/06, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By searching the Michigan shelter list of petfinder, I have found a website for the shelter housing "Corkie", the stray from Whittemore. There still is no picture, but maybe in time.
www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI231.html

I'm glad to hear that Tara is adopted. I'm still tempted to foster her partner or Corkie. Having found how wonderful this breed is, I can't stand the thought of any of them sitting in a shelter.

If you don't mind, Mary, I might like to keep in touch with you for advice and/or support in considering fostering. Also, I'd love to send you a picture of my girl, Clare, but I can't figure out how to do so on the message board. Would you mind email?

Betsy
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/29/06, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Betsy...that would be wonderful...emails always welcome
murr41@yahoo.com is the mail I use 90% of the time....I am so glad at least they have her on even without a photo. She wasn't on at all when the Griff folks looked at her.

We also are working desperately on the Puppy in the Naussa County AC in Florida...a gwpca member us there for vacation and did an assessment this am. She is 4 months old, liver, darling...and we need to get her out. The people there are wonderful.....but over crowded....overcrowded....and this puppy will get sick. I will tell you the particulars in a private email. We have an application from Florida, and I am in hopes they may consider this female puppy. They just want a family dog, so she would be perfect I believe. If I do not hear from them...then we are going to have to fly her here, CA, or somewhere to foster. Is hard when all of this comes up.....and us so urgent.
Thanks so much Betsy...will be in and out today..
mary
www.gwpca.com
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 06/29/06, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4 mo old and in a shelter! Yikes!
I also worry about the 10 mo old in Georgia. Still with owner, as I understand it, but needs more. Is the family coping OK, or is Rescue looking for a foster situation?
Keep me in the loop.

Betsy
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Betsy...

I just saw your post...Corkie in whittemore was adopted this week! And we got the puppy out of the pound...a purebred GWP puppy, My friend Kata adopted her, with my 501c3 Shelter license I faxed down to the shelter. She then went to a good vet for a week of boarding...got spayed, dewclaws removed, and flew out to one of my families wanting to adopt in San Diego. So in a week's time....she got a bath, spayed, and on a plane thanks to some wonderful Shelter people down there! The family is thrilled....with her..she is quite a little stinker I hear.

I believe Tara is still there in the Calhoun Shelter in MI and we have 2 males owner relinquish in Hebron, MI shelter....I will post them as soon as I get photos......I just wish people would stick with good breeders that take their "kids" back when they cannot care for them. Believe me...I am keeping a list when I contact a breeder and they say "No. What would I do with an adult dog?" These males are only 2 years old. Funny how most we get are between 1-2 years or very old?

Thanks Betsy...stay in touch!
Mary
www.gwpca.com
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good news about Corkie. I've been watching the Michigan dogs almost daily, always thinking about springing somebody from shelter life. I was shocked and delighted to see that Corkie was so quickly adopted. Still watching Tara. And now I'll have to find out where Hebron, MI is and keep track of the two new boys.

We all know, don't we, why the 1-2yr olds end up in rescue. If people could just live through this age with their dogs, then they'd find they made the best choice ever in a pet. Of course, their are some people who just aren't cut out to be owners of wires.

What's the status of the puppy in Georgia? She has the same mischevious look on her face as my Clare did at that age. I can't help but be attracted to her.

Betsy
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 07/08/06, 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a petfinder search for the two boys in Michigan. Turns out they're right here in Ann Arbor, unless there could be two sets of owner turn in males in Mich. To satisfy my own curiousity, I'm planning to go see these guys tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to help you, Mary, concerning these two?

Betsy
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/09/06, 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Betsy...Laura has the info on the pup in GA...I don't know about her.
Will ask though...
I sent an evaluation form in an email to you ...if you could see them, and fill this out. That would help alot. It is full of questions about the dogs behavior and this helps us asses them..Thanks so much! This is a great way to help. I am concerned on the weight of Jay....he is so fat..and Fritz is so skinny. I think you were right on Jay eating Fritz's food. Fritz is handsome looking, and if his personality is like he looks that would be very good. I am hoping we can help them....Corkie was posted on several sites, and this seemed to help. We posted the assessment of the Griffon rescue folks, and I know this lent a lot of help to getting her a home.

Thanks so Much Betsy!

Mary
www.gwpca.com
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/11/06, 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the dogs in Ann Arbor, MI....at the Huron County AC was adopted....Jay the 108 lb 2 year old. I cannot imagine, but hope whomever adopted him will address his weight issues. Fritz is still up for adoption...Maybe he will put on some weight with Jay gone?????

He looks like a good fellow. Betsy, did you get a chance to see him?

Mary
www.gwpca.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> RESCUE All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: