German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Update on Max's progress (or my own :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundowner

PostPosted: 06/12/06, 5:48 am    Post subject: Update on Max's progress (or my own :-) Reply with quote

Hi all,
just thought I'd let you know how both, Max and myself are doing!!! Seems like I learnt a lot more since I started posting on here!!
First thing I HAD to figure out is :

1) Patience, patience and more patience!!!!

Well now, since my last post telling you all how well things are, Max has only ran away once (and was nearly ran over by a car in our small village). He did not even come to a lady (who has dogs herself and has seen him before). BUT, at least I have finally figured out what it really is that makes him do this. I saw him running into a rape field right in front of me, and I am absolutely sure that he DID PICK UP SOMETHING IN THERE AND EAT it. When he then came out at the far end of the field, he acknowledged the whistle and even looked at me but when I walked toward him he headed the other way. I must say at this stage he was DEFINATELY NOT FRIGHTENED !!!!!! In fact he looked rather mischevious.
The next day I rang a breeder/trainer down south and he told me that it is me who needs to ensure to have him close to me at all times !!!
Well then, from then on I kept him close, trust me, VERY close.
As if he understood, he now walks to heel at ALL times! Even when pheasants, rabbits, partridges and a few days ago a red fox crossed the path right in front of him. One word of me and he sits. Best of all, he seems to thrive on all this training. Both, g/f and myself went out for a walk yesterday and she commented positively on him walking to heel.

All of this will result in me trying to get him off picking up dead stuff (and eating it). Next week I will rig up a rabbit with an electric current (very light) through it unless some of you in here have better ideas! Any thoughts?

I have another question, but I will post this as a different topic

Thank you all
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/29/06, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember do give your dog a human personality. Some of their actions may be repugnant to us, but no so in their world. I would refrain from electrifying a rabbet or any game that you may want to hunt. You’re dog’s stomach is the best gage to what it can and cannot eat. If you feel that you must try to stop the behavior I would try bitters, bitter apple, or a product called Uck ! It is good to hear that you and Max are doing well. Keep up the good work and your patience, he will come around. Remember Never, Never, Ever, forget rule #1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: