German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Versatile Program?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 06/19/06, 8:25 am    Post subject: Versatile Program? Reply with quote

What would you like to see included in a Versatile test/title for the GWP?

If we can get a good dialog going maybe we can actually get something happening!
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/19/06, 10:23 am    Post subject: Versatile Reply with quote

IMHO any test of a versatile should have the work featured for which it was intended, so in this case the dog should be able to perform in the field-pointing, on water-retreiving, and tracking-a duck, a rabbit, or deer track.
Im not saying the tests have to be half-mile long overnight tracks or extrememly difficult water work with multiple marks, blinds and poison bird, but should be of some reasonable difficulty to showcase this dogs talents and test ability. As a result, breeders might strive to concentrate on these endeavors in their dogs. These dogs were bred to work and the bar should be rasied to where the dogs natural talents are comlimented with decent training-these 3 testing areas should come naturally with a little formal training. Ths GSP club has a decent water test, at a minimum the GWP should offer it as well-a good GWP should outperform their shorter coated cousin! Those that actively hunt their dogs would welcome it provided their dogs are competent.

In addition, the dog should be a good companion of good behavior-this goes without saying.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/22/06, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with whiskerdog1. I like the NAVHDA tests. I would like to see more tracking in them. I have done a lot of blood tracking/training as I am a deer hunter and this comes in very handy at times.

Chris
KJ

PostPosted: 06/24/06, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of three different levels. Here are a few ideas:

Junior Versatile Dog
-Pass the NAVHDA NA test with a prize I or II (dog cannot be noted as gun sensative, gun shy, have their coat be judged soft or open or have any physical or tempermental faults noted, other than missing teeth)
-Receive 2 field trial placements (walking or horseback) in puppy or derby stakes.

Senior Versatile Dog
-Pass the NAVHDA UT test with a required '4' in Duck Search
-CH (more of a beauty pageant than a true coat and conformation evaluation but, it's all we have)
-Receive 2 field trial placements (walking or horseback) in any broke dog stake

Master Versatile Dog
-Recieve a prize 1 in the NAVHDA UT test
-Receive 2 field trial placements (walking or horseback). Both placements must be in 3 point stakes or higher with one win.
-CH
-Must have one of the following higher level titles: VC, FC or HR (not sure what is required for a hunting retriever title but, I would assume that it would prove a dog's worth as a waterfowl hunter more than the other tests).

The SH and MH could have some value but, there isn't a serperate water test to balance them out. What is required in the HR tests?
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/26/06, 9:23 am    Post subject: Versatile Reply with quote

KJ-heres the UKC HR(HRC)
http://ukcdogs.com/HRetrieversRules.htm
Any halfway serious duckhunter should train and accomplish this.

Interesting about the 3 levels. I think its admirable. Not sure how it'd go over though, but its good.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/27/06, 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to an UKC/HRC retriever test if there is one in your area. The HR titled is earned running in the seasoned level tests.You have to remember these are retriever guys, and they look at things a bit differently. You need to have some control of the dog. (I.E. you must be able to handled your dog in the water or on land.) The dog needs to be able to mark and remember the memory bird, and then do a short blind retrieve, where you may or may not have to handle your dog, depending on if the dog takes your initial line. The dog needs to be steady at the line too, no breaking.The dog doesn't have to be perfect in handling, but the dog needs to stop and respond to directional casting, and make progress toward the bird.

If you actually hunt ducks then all of the skills tested in the seasoned level UKC/HRC are needed in a real versatile hunting dog. If you can not handle a dog in the water, then the dog is pretty worthless in real duck hunting situations. Rolling Eyes

All that would be needed for a water title in the GWPCA could be a simple double water retrieve with gunfire, the shortest bird being no less than 40 yards from the dog and handler and the longest bird being no more than 60 yards. (With at least 45 degree angle between the 2 marks. Maybe 3-6 decoys out there for effect, and hunting simulation. You could skip the blind.) But the 2 birds should be retrieved to hand, and the water should be swimming depth at least half of the distance. The dog should be steady at the line until sent to retrieve. That would not be so tough. Any dog that is to be called a "Master Hunter" should be able to do that.Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: