German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

new to showing needs help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/23/06, 5:09 pm    Post subject: new to showing needs help Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Just resently I purchased a 10 month old GWP female that I was assured by the breeder was show quality. I am planning on showing her but my only problem is I have no idea where to start with training her and myself. AKC recommends attending classes, however, we live about 200 miles away from the closest AKC club. We will attend a conformation handling seminar in April but what should we do the untill then?
Could you recommend any books or videos that could help us? We will also be participating in NAVHDA and hunt test. So far we have been working on basic obedience, come, heel etc (haven't done sit as I read it's not good for pointers to know that).
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Confused Anita
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/23/06, 6:24 pm    Post subject: new to showing needs help Reply with quote

Hi,

I would check with your vet to see if he knows of a training facility in your area. Most of them offer basic obedience and confirmation classes.

Good Luck.
Jay-Mar's GWP's

PostPosted: 06/18/06, 9:28 pm    Post subject: getting started in showing Reply with quote

first off...congrats on your new pup!!!
there are many good books on showing dogs..you can go to www.dogwise.com and look under conformation or show training and there will be many good books to choose from.
There are short summaries of each book so you can see which one will work best for you
if you have any questions or need more info, feel free to e-mial me and I'd be happy to help
Nikki
GWPCA breeders education chariperson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: