German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New GWP puppy - how much exercise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/02/06, 4:38 pm    Post subject: New GWP puppy - how much exercise? Reply with quote

Well, we did it again. We added another puppy to our little four legged family. McKenzi is 9 weeks old and she is a sweetheart of course. She is getting along great with the other dogs and she is doing quite well with house training.

I do have couple of questions though. If she had it her way, she would be out of her crate all day long playing with the other dogs. When she is really tired, she lays down on the big dog's bed and sleeps for a while.

Do you think we should limit her activity somewhat or should we let her set a pace for herself?

I am really cautious since our other female's back is not quite straight (the profile) and someone told me that was a result of her having too much exercise when she was a young pup. Do you think it is possible for excess exercise to have caused that?

If so how much exercise should McKenzi get? They have a big yard to run around in and we take the dogs out into a 3 acre field 3-4 times a week.

I really would appreciate all the help on this as I want McKenzi to grow to her full potential.

Thank you guys
CaptGCA

PostPosted: 06/04/06, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita: I personally have never heard of a dogs back (spine) going out of wack because of too much exercise. The dog might have hurt it ruffhousing w/other dogs,etc. Or, the dog was born with a spinal problem. Dogs will usually nap when tired as your pup already has. I would check with you Vet. to be certain. Good luck w/pup. George
nobirdshere

PostPosted: 06/09/06, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly have heard of pups suffering joint damage from too much excercise (i.e., running) on pavement. If she is running around your yard, I wouldn't worry so much. Generally, it is a good idea to limit jogging on sidewalks and the like with young pups. I don't think you will have too many issues with her running around the yard or on soft surfaces.

Congratulations on the new pup! Have fun with her.
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 06/10/06, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My female GWP has a bit of a sway to her back. I always figured it was a genetic thing. Since my dog was rescued from a shelter, does not have a cropped tail or dew claws removed, I thought maybe she didn't come from the best of backgrounds. I'm not sure she had good exercise either. She was clumsy when I got her, but that may have been normal for her ~7 month age at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: