German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP is # 2 -Thyroid Disease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/30/06, 3:19 pm    Post subject: GWP is # 2 -Thyroid Disease Reply with quote

I was just reviewing the statistics published on OFA's website with regards to thyroid disease data and the GWP is #2 in all breeds. That is, GWP's have the second highest incidence of autoimmune thyroiditis!

Wow - that's just sickening. It's way past time to do something about this.

For those of you on these lists looking for GWP's take a stand and only purchase a GWP from people who have tested the thyroid function and have proof of it within the last year.

There is only one way to decrease this, by testing and certifying. You can find more information here: http://www.offa.org/thystatbreed.html

There will be information published shortly in regards to health on the GWPCA website at www.gwpca.com including information about thyroid function and testing.

Sherry
gwpguy

PostPosted: 02/23/06, 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my dog was just diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis. I am still trying to understand what this whole thing means. My dog is a 3 year old GWP male. Lately had become more and more aggressive. Especially at feeding time. I had him tested for thyroid and it was low. I guess .5 - .8 is the low end. His test results were so low they didn’t register.

I cannot believe the breeder would actually breed my dog’s parent. After I told the breeder that my dog was diagnosed, they said that both parents are carriers of the disease. I am still researching the lines through offa.org but it looks like this should have been caught way before the breeding for my dog ever occurred.

When I picked my dog I went to someone I thought was one of the better breeders. I paid top dollar for the dog believing that this was a reputable breeder. The parents were tested for thyroid and the tests were normal. At the time, I didn’t know about this disease so I didn’t know to look at the previous generations or other siblings.

I am pretty cheesed at the breeder right now. Other than to let them know that my dog was afflicted, I have not discussed with the breeder about this. I would hope a reputable breeder would offer a refund or some money back when they know they sold a dog with a health risk like this. I am pretty sure that they had both parents of my dog fixed.

I know there a lot of breeders on this board. Please take a lot of time researching your breeding stock for this. Only you can help get the GWP breed off of the top 10 list. If your dog is positive or a carrier, please do the responsible thing and have them fixed.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/11/06, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Devata and GWPguy... i've been away from the forum lately....been dealing with my GWP girl's extremely thin coat and skin problems...and caught your post on the thyroidism.

my 11 yr old wirehaired JRT rescue (got out of rescue 2 yrs ago) was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and it's being managed fine w/ eltroxin....not expensive at all.

my vet was thinking my GWP might be hypo-T as well since she presents far more symptoms than the little guy....but her T4 came back in the normal range. i'm requesting the full thyroid panel to be done tomorrow when i have to take her in for a skin biopsy.

i had NO idea GWPs were ranked #2 on the OFAs list. i'm going to have to do a little more reading on this autoimmune thyroiditis, but in the meantime, i'd love to know what your vets have done....how did they diagnose, and how are they treating?

thanks!
illona
www.illonahaus.com
www.flickr.com/photos/illonahaus
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/22/06, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Diagnosing and Treating Reply with quote

The diagnosing and treatment is straightforward. Blood tests for diagnosing and a supplement for treatment. Treatment is for one pill twice a day usually.

Though, you have to be careful with people intrepretting bloodwork. Sometimes they will tell you it's not low because it's not in the "normal low" window, yet can be only one or two points away and they will tell you that it doesn't test positive for TgAA when in reality it cannot be closer to testing positive without testing positive.

My dog for instance, say 5 is the high end of low and 200 is the count to show they are TgAA positive. She was 6 and 197. Does she have hypothyroid disease, YES? 6 months later after I was told it was safe to breed her and that she was normal, she tested positive for both a low and TgAA positive.

Her breeder is still not checking dogs that I know of. Breeders don't take this serious at all, or the GWP would not be #2 or #4 at MSU. Yes, it's moved up to #4 at MSU, up from #7.

Breeders will tell you, there's nothing wrong with their thryoid - how do they know if it's not been tested, and if it's been tested, it should have been within one year of breed and they should produce the results for you when asked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: