German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Literature and Videos - and what about German commands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenomatic

PostPosted: 03/22/06, 2:22 am    Post subject: Literature and Videos - and what about German commands Reply with quote

Hi,

I find this forum a great source of knowledge. What I have been coming across though is that there seems to be great demand for good and new(er) training literature and videos. Especially for newcomers such as me. I'm getting my pup in 5 to 6 weeks and want to train him well and make his and my life as good and as easy as possible. Certainly I have a lot to learn before we get started. Unfortunately books listed at amazon have so mixed reviews that I don’t know where to start and where to go from there.

How about setting up a library of books and videos for us that can be really recommended - maybe with reviews?

What do you think of the idea to train a dog with German commands? I am a native German speaker. I can see benefits and liabilities. The dog cannot be miss-led by others’ commands. I would be the only one who could control the dog.

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by svenomatic on 03/22/06, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon

PostPosted: 03/22/06, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ich sehe damit kein Problem. Es waere nur dass du aus irgend ein Grund den Hund verkaufst. Fuer den neuen Besitzer, eine neue Sprache lernen zu muessen koennte schwerig sein!!! Wink
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/22/06, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Ich sehe damit kein Problem. Es waere nur dass du aus irgend ein Grund den Hund verkaufst. Fuer den neuen Besitzer, eine neue Sprache lernen zu muessen koennte schwerig sein!!! Wink

Yah! What he said. Confused
svenomatic

PostPosted: 03/22/06, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote in German: "I don't see a problem. Just if you would sell the dog for whatever reason, the new owner would have to learn the language."

Selling the dog is out of the question. I had a Schnauzer, a Dobermann and a Lab and we stayed together until the end. This is the first dog though whom I want to "train" and have him life up to his full potential. Not just tame and domesticate.

Thanks for further feedback. (In English please since this is the GWP Club of America.)
Flyingm

PostPosted: 03/22/06, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svenomatic,

What ever language you use, be consistent. There is nothing wrong with speaking German commands.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/24/06, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really can speak to your dog in any lanquage, and as long as you are consistent, it won't matter to him.

Training tapes... I have a couple that I like, I'll go review and see what I can come up with.

For general life training, I can think of nothing better for the general dog owner to watch than The Dog Whisper! This guy is good. He has a genuine love of the animal, and is wonderful with making the people understand what their dog is all about.

National Geographic Channel, Friday night 8 pm. Also on many times during the night and day as reruns. Watch it!!!!!!
He has a tape out, and a book. Have not watched or read either, so can't comment there.

Another one I like... for general training... The Monks of New Skete. Vey down to earth. Easy to follow, dogs are dogs.

For field work... Delmar Smith or his sons. Bill West.

I'll work on it.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/26/06, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Commands Reply with quote

Here is a link w/commands in 4 languages.. I refer to it sometimes. I like some commands in German-(speak and bite), sit, down. I guess mine is bilingual. No real advantage unless you do schutzhund work and dont want to set your dog off.
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm

I like Wolters dvd series-1 for pointing and 1 for retrieving. Bil West and Delmar are good books as mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for Performance/Conformation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: