German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Advice so I can get a little more sleep...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DU Supporter

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 9:07 am    Post subject: Advice so I can get a little more sleep... Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone on the board in advance for all I have read thus far. The board has been a great wealth of knowledge for me in making the decision to finally get a wirehair.

Now for the problem. Some background first. I am the proud papa of a 12 week old gwp. I love him, he is some work but thats ok. We spend plenty of time exercising and playing. We go for a field run/walk every morning for a little more than an hour before I go to work. Someone is home most of the day so he gets let out of his crate to do his business and play around a bit at least every couple hours. In the evening he and I go out to the field again for another hour or so and when we return home have lots of play time with his tennis balls(his fav btw) and other toys. I figure he is getting plenty of exercise and he has definately bonded with me more than the other members of the family.

The probelm is, no matter what time I put him down for the night. Whether it be 9:00pm or 11:30pm he is up at 4:00am everyday with a little whine. I take him outside to do his business and we come back inside. I put him in his crate to get what I hope to be another two hours of sleep. That when the WHINING, HOWLING, and BARKING begins. I have tried to just ignore it till he settles down. NO GO. If he whines to go out at 1 or 2am I take him out and he comes in and goes right back to sleep, til 4.

What am I doing wrong? Will this pass as he gets a bit older and will sleep longer? The dark circles under my eyes are growing daily!
Slug

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppies!!!!!!!! You have to love them..huh

I think all the breeds have that in them.... Whine early and wake Mr. Alpha up...

I would place his crate as far away from me as i could, Maybe in a room and close the door. Try covering up the crate with a blanket... who knows, you may have to ride it out... But attention to the problem will make it a bigger problem later.

You might could reach in and grab his mug and command Quiet. Some people teach the Quiet command but it takes time.....

Wait a minute.... Get you some Ear Plugs....

Good Luck and enjoy the puppy... it don't last long..
DU Supporter

PostPosted: 04/06/06, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have covered his crate with a sheet, and put him downstairs away from the bedroom. The last 5 days I have ignored him as much as I can. He has gone on with the Whining, Howling, Barking for over a half hour.

Once I let him out he grabs a toy and is happy if I stay in the room. This is the only time he displays howling and barking.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/18/06, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put such a pup in their crate in the pickup, give them a small biscuit-I turn off the light to the garage and I go to bed. Unless the pup is fearful or truly has anxiety (temperament flaws), they will stop the commotion. Crate a calm older dog next to the pup. Within several days, all of this nonsense usually stops. Don't reward the pup by going to it when it screams. I'm sure this will seem cruel to those of the "my dog is my buddy" persuasion. But it works in almost all cases. Dogs should fit our lifestyle-not the other way around.
ReeceGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/19/06, 3:53 pm    Post subject: My Puppie Was An Early Riser Also Reply with quote

I got my newest puppy at 8weeks and she also had me up at 5am every morning, even though I took her out around 1am, BUT I am happy to say at 16 weeks old she is now letting me sleep in to about 6:30am. I think it will get better with time.

She is just darling check her out on my website. She is "Afterhours Once In A Lifetime"

Reece GWP's
http://www.reecekennels.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: