German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

My dog stinks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clay Guilderson

PostPosted: 09/13/04, 12:56 am    Post subject: Stinky Dogs!! Reply with quote

We also just got a GWP and have found her to be excessively stinky. My wife has Asthma and the odor is seeming to give her headaches. She has both a nasty body odor and particularly bad gas (the dog, that is Wink ).

She is 6 months old. She also has dry sores on her back and neck, flaky skin, and runny stools. We have only washed her twice because I found a flea on her, and therefore paid to have her treated at the vet. We are feeding her "Nutro," it is supposed to be a premium food though I noticed the second ingredient is cornmeal. Tomorrow we are going to take her in for a check-up and get her de-wormed as a precaution. The guy we bought her from fed them a premium food but supplemented it with raw chicks and chickens (he is a falconer), so we are concerned she might have picked up a parasite or something.

Is there a better food than Nutro that we should be feeding her? Could she be allergic to the food, or maybe she is allergic to the fleas that were on her. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/13/04, 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clay,

congrats on your new addition. as a fellow asthma and allergy sufferer, please, please, please tell your wife to hang in there. it sounds like this girl is going through some major changes but I can assure you it will get better!

From your description, she's going through a major 'detox' or allergies. It could be a reaction to the flea treatment -- no need for a harsh flea treatment in the future if you find only a couple fleas. A mild flea shampoo should do the trick, and it's not as hard on their system and their coat.

I went through huge food allergies with my girl from age 7 mos (out of rescue) and 1 1/2 yrs. Major flatulence and smelly coat, dry skin, etc. I would be ditching the Nutro first. Now, I feed raw because of my dog's allergies -- she gets goat, lamb, rabbit, beef, and turkey. Chicken is a huge no-no for my girl. She gets MAJOR smelly and also ear infections. Since switching to raw she's practically odorless and hardly sheds. And NO gas!!

Also, CORN is another big no-no.

If you're not able to investigate raw feeding and supplementing with EFAs like fish oils - which will help the coat and dry skin phenomenally! - then I would suggest trying another type of food. Something definitely without cornmeal....and without anything that sounds like starch and sugar. These are what will cause smelly ears and greasy skin, from my experience. You might check out Solid Gold's Holistic blend....it's one of the kibbles that my girl did best on...but not as good as raw. Innova is another food I've had success w/ with past dogs, however, the chicken doesn't suit my GWP.

This girl of yours has a lot of crap in her system that has to come out....flea treatments, vaccinations, and perchance, have you had her spayed recently? This can cause major changes in the dog as well. I would guess that the treatments your vet is prescribing - fleas, skin, or otherwise - are only going to wreck more havoc on her system. Best to try to find a suitable food and let her system flush these toxins out of the body.

but that's just MY experience. Please trust me, she will get better. Allergies are hard to pin down, but once the dog is on a suitable diet, your wife's allergies and asthma in re. to the dog will be a thing of the past.

illona
cheerio

PostPosted: 09/14/04, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A food allergy can be one of the toughtest health problem to isolate. However, when the symptoms are accompanied of Flatulence, there is no doubt, you are definitely dealing with food allergies. CHANGE HER FOOD at once. Furhtermore, when the flatulence is accompanied with diarrhea and/or loss of appetite, you should suspect mal absorbsion syndrome.
The first thing to do is to switch your dog to a highly digestible LOW FIBRE diet, and supress ALL table scraps. Feed 3 small meals per day instead of one or 2 big ones. In a young pup you may want to divide her food into 4 or 5 feedings. This ensure that puppy is not going to swallow air while eating. If you find your dog to be gulping his food, put a tea spoon in his bowl. By having to eat around it, he will eat a lot slower. If this does not do the trick, switch his food to a specially made dog food such as Hill's Science Diet i/d or k/d, available at your vet. You can also give puppy Simethicone, made for people and available over the counter at any pharmacy in the following dosage: 40mg once or twice a day after a meal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
M Meeks

PostPosted: 04/07/06, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My dog stinks! Reply with quote

outdoorsman wrote:
I have a great GWP pup. he is 16 weeks old. And well he stinks. I have had him Vet checked. No ear problems. but the wife can't take teh smell. She is threatinging me to wash him every week, which I know is not good forthe dog. I bought Doggy deoderant. that just masks the smell slightly. Any ideas? I am thinking of switching dog food to see if that would make a difference. Right now he is eating Iams puppy food for large breed.

In response to your problem of a stinky dog. I can make 2 suggestions for a shampoo that has worked for me. They will eliminate the bad odors and leave a pleasant odor for days. The products are Smelly Pet and Quick Relief Neem Shampoo and are made by Nature's Specialties in Corona, CA. Both are safe for your 16 week old pup. You can call their office for more information and they can tell you where it can be purchased. (800) 551-7627.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/11/06, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please review web page www.homestead.com/VonHapsburg/petfood.html
It is a dog eat dog world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: