German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Color of puppies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/25/03, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Color of pups Reply with quote

drafter4
I had called about these pup`s several months ago,the owner was nice person to visit with.He hunted alot and did a lot of pheasant hunting as I recall! I wasnt interested in the pup`s because of the color. I am sure he told me he had raised other litter`s that had puppies the same color as these yellowish pups.He did say most of them got darker with age. We got to talking about hunting ,and I can`t remember if he told me the pup`s were AKC registered or not? If they are what do you put down as their color?On the registration aplication there are no black color option`s ,much less this color! You forgot to mention there are gray Percheron`s!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
drafter4

PostPosted: 02/25/03, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the parents as well as the litter are registered through the AKC. I called the AKC and asked them what to do to get this pup's regisration completed. I was told to send 2 pictures and they would figure out the color. As I said before these pups should not be used for breeding. Yes you are correct about the color grey for percheron horses but that is acceptable. My point was there are colors that are not acceptable to certain people.
Thanks for your reply
Mike
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 02/26/03, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is black on the AKC registration but if your dog is not black and white ticked I wouldnt put that down. In this case I wouldnt register the dog at all.
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/26/03, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Color of GWP`s Reply with quote

I own 4GWP`s all are black& white or black&roan. When I sent in their applications for registration there was no black& white options to check.
The breeder`s had hand written the colors in, below the other color options!
Brandon Ward which dog`s were you saying should`nt be registered? I really prefer the black roans and 2 of my dogs are registered as black roans!!
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 02/27/03, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy chinchy my dog came from some of the same lines as yours did (Frank Vom Richtoff) and my dog is registered thru AKC as Black and White ticked Im looking at the pedigree right know and it says black and white ticked so there is definetely a option to choose black and white. Shoot over half of the dogs on my pups pedigree are rgistered either black and white or black ticked or black and white ticked so you must of overlooked your registration papers. I am also interested in why black and white dogs are such an issue?
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/27/03, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Brandon Reply with quote

I said there is no black as a option on the Registeration Application(puppy papers) that you have to send in to register a puppy.As i stated Breeders had hand written in black& white or black& roan below the options for liver colors! In other word`s there were boxes to check for each liver color
combination,but none at all for black! Read the guide lines about color and see what it say`s about black! I knew of a black&white male for sale in western Ks. that was a full brother to 2 of my females! The guy also had a
liver roan female I had owned. Did your dog happen to come from out west? If he`s the one I`m talking about his date of birth is Aug,21 2001
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 02/28/03, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in North Central Wisconsin close to the twin cities (MN) The sire of my pup was from Thunderhills Kennel and the dam was a direct descendant of Frank Vom Richtoff which in turn turned into some Treborwolf\Ostfriesland lines and also had some Towers lines involved. Its kind of interesting to read what the GWPCA has to say about Black in GWP lines if you go to AKC.org and do a search on German Wirehaired Pointers after you hit go I beleive its the second article that pops up talking about the issue of Black in the breed. It pretty much states that a black\white dog had taken a #1 Championship Prize and states that it will no longer be that way. I dont know how old that post is but in the breed standard it says any black in the coat is to be severely penalized. Which in turn I take that as being in the show ring not in the field. I think its confusing and I also beleive that the gsp is having the same problem with it.
iamwebb

PostPosted: 02/28/03, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the AKC dose not like the black and white color. People that are hunting with them don’t seem to mind the color. I am wondering though, if you are going to go through the effort to find a breeder and get a registered GWP pup shouldn’t it meet with the standards provided by the club. I do realize that there is nothing wrong with the pup and that it is not the dog’s fault that it is black and white. I am just concerned if I go to a breeder to pick out my pup and there are a lot of black on white ones maybe they are letting other traits slip as well. I am new to the GWP and I am going to be looking for a pup in the future. I am just voicing my questions.
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/28/03, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Black& white Reply with quote

Most of us that own the Black`s think they are of a MORE hunting type breeding. I am ahunter so I looked for aGOOD hunting line,and could care less about the show ring!! Since getting into GWP`s I have noticed more and more breeder`s offering the black`s! Some even breeding for black`s only!!They are becoming more excepted I think!
kate6278

PostPosted: 03/16/03, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY pup is now one year of age and he is black and white I had never heard of this color on a GWH but he has shown me color don't matter with him as he was pointing and flushing and retrieving by 10 months of age. When I filled out his papers to register him I had to write in black and white when they came it was printed on them and research has shown black and whites are found more over seas than here in the USA but I will never give him up he is a great little hunter and wonderful companion.
Very Happy
GWIREHAIR

PostPosted: 03/27/03, 10:34 pm    Post subject: color Reply with quote

Black is an acceptable color with AKC. It is severly penalized in the Show Ring only. The rules for what is acceptable concerning the GWP is mandated by the German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America. GWPCA makes the rules and AKC registers them accordingly. Hope this helps.
I saw a blonde GWP in TX a couple years ago but she wasn't registered. The color black is listed on the AKC website under colors. It has a # then the color. In the last few years black has been removed from the puppy sheet but can still be added. Not sure why but I think politics had something to do with it. Have Fun Casey
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no good reason not to breed for the black and white color. They are allowed in Great Britain and in the country that originated the breed, Germany. I think they discourage the breeding of black & white to black & white or black & white to solid brown. From my understanding solid black is not permitted.
Topdog

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this color thing is all a bunch of c$%p!! And as far as the standard goes, there isn't one breeder in 10 that isn't ready to chuck it all right out the window if they can breed a winner. I went to too dog shows and watched the blue haired ladies parade their fluffed up "Fifi's' around the ring. Half the GWPs today couldn't find a duck unless it was in their water pail and these people are worried about color. What a laugh.

I'm looking for a good versatile/family dog next year and as far as I can see (and what I read on this list), the breeds still concentrating on versatile dogs are the DD, PP and some other euro-registries. Buying a GWP is like a crap shoot - some show, some field trial, obedience and other games. If somebody really hunts birds, rabbits, ducks, geese, etc I would look to the euro-dogs. Besides, if there breeding black GWPs they must be buying german dogs for breeding - why not go get the real thing.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably are safer buying from the DD registered breeder. I do use my GWP for hunting ducks, rabbits and upland birds but a lot of GWP breeders don't. If you want a dog for all around hunting pick the breeder carefully and know what the parents are capable of. If you want a dog with a lot of run in it you also need to choose the parents carefully.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 5:15 pm    Post subject: breeders, color, hunting and so forth Reply with quote

No VDD vs AKC wars allowed here, please.

There are good breeders that breed AKC reg. GWP's. There are bad breeders that breed AKC reg GWPs. There are good breeders that breed VDD registered Drahthaar, there are bad breeders that breed VDD registered Drahthaar. You are no safer with one than with another if you are judging strictly on what registery they are with.

The most important thing is to talk to the breeders and find one that you like and with who's vision and ideals for the breed are ones you agree with. This means you will not find a puppy next weekend. You may not even find a puppy this month or for six months for that matter. But when you do find one, you will find one that will be just what you are looking for and a breeder that will be an asset to you and your dog for its entire life.

SilvarGWP
Austin, TX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: