German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Looking for some information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravenh6

PostPosted: 02/16/06, 9:48 am    Post subject: Looking for some information Reply with quote

Hi,

My family and I are currently thinking about getting a new puppy. We have been researching several breeds and have decided that we would like a sporting dog. My husband would like to train the dog to go quail hunting with him, but I would like a dog that is a great family dog. Our family consists of four kids (ages 6 - 18), one older shepard/collie mix, and one very senior cat. We have narrowed our search down to the WPG and the GWP. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between appearance (they are both very cute). I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on temperament. Which dog would be a better fit for my family?

FYI...We would consider a rescue
CaptGCA

PostPosted: 02/17/06, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & Welcome: Either breed would be an excellent choice. I have owned (or they owned me) both. I currently have a GWP. Both breeds point quail and other fowl great, are good retreivers and make excellent family dogs. The WPG may work a little closer than a GWP but there may be a sticker problem with the longer coat. I know that I had this problem when hunting in cutovers where there were many stickers. Usually you can just comb or curry them out of the GWP's coat. Hope this info. helps! You can't go wrong w/either breed. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: