German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Introduction and questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robby

PostPosted: 02/02/06, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Introduction and questions... Reply with quote

Hello all, my name is Robby and my wife and I live in Georgia about 60 miles south of Atlanta. We live on our family farm of about 100 acres, have a 1/2 acre fenced yard adjacent to our farm pond, and have a 3 year old German Shepherd Dog. My wife and I are athletic, and spend a good amount of time outdoors. My wife is an avid runner and or GSD accompanies her on just about every run.

We have decided to get another dog in the late SPring or early summer as my wife is a teacher and she will have the summer off to be at home with the puppy. We are in the process of deciding which breed will be right for us. The GWP is a breed that we think will fit right in.

The questions I have are:
1. How will he be in the HOT and HUMID Georgia summers? Our GSD lives in the house, as will our new dog, so he won't be exposed to the heat all day every day. But he will eventually go on runs with my wife, and he will definately be exercised every day of the year. Our GSD doesn't particularly like the summers here, and spends a good bit of time sitting on the AC vents.

2. How intelligent is the breed, on average? The GSDs we have had have all been HIGHLY intelligent and easy to train. Our current GSD never even had an accident in the house while house training him (part of that is due to the fact that my wife was at home with him all summer while he was a puppy).

3. How well do they get along with other dogs? Along with our GSD, my dad lives on the same land as I do and he has 2 Black Labs.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/03/06, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Introduction and questions Reply with quote

Hi,

Here are some answers to your questions:

As long as you do not excercise your dog in the heat of the day - they do fine. I live in Colorado where it can be 99 degrees in the middle of the day. I just exercise them in the morning before it gets too hot or evening after it cools down.

They are very smart & for every reason you give them to do something, they will have two reasons why not! You need to let them know from the beginning that when you tell them to do something you mean it - you are not saying it because you like to talk.

They get along with all dogs if they are raised correctly. I run both my dogs in the field and have never had an issue with them starting problems with other dogs.

I hope these answers help you and good luck with your new puppy. You will discover that the wirehair is like no dog you have ever owned.

Cathy M.
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/04/06, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBBY welcome. I live in Charleston SC and we have plenty of heat and humidity here also. And my GWP does fine. I don't leave her out side 24 / 7 either. I should have a litter on the ground this spring. Let me know if you are interested.
pointon

PostPosted: 02/17/06, 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i live in Texas.. I'd say that's a good testing ground to see if the GWP can handle heat:) My pup is outside 24/7.. She does just fine.. I keep 3 kiddy pools filled at all times during the summer months and she'll lay in them when she's hot and she'll find the shade when she's hot... You said you have a pond so I bet you'll have water loving dog too! I have noticed that she'll dig if there's not water around. She's trying to find the cool earth.. So, if you don't want holes all in your yard, keep the pond available or keep kiddy pools filled! It's a great breed.. The most impressive characteristic, to me, is that they can turn on the hunt on and when they get home they can turn the hunt right back off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: