German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

house training or not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shot

PostPosted: 01/28/06, 8:58 pm    Post subject: house training or not Reply with quote

I have a 5 month old male gwp that despite my very diligent and best efforts will not house train. I have restricted water. I take him out often and ask him to "teetee" which he does. I have rewarded him with treats at the time he pees outside on the grass consistently. I am really trying not to spank him or put his nose in his pee or yell at him when he pees in the house, but am running out of tricks. I got the dog at 12 weeks from a kennel, so I am aware that he had early weeks of peeing on concrete. But it is as if he cannot learn not to pee on my wood floors - or his bed. He stays in his crate at night and when I leave during the day. I do not work, so we have a lot of time together. Some days are good - no accidents. Some days are ok - maybe just one. But today - and there are others like today - he has had about 4 accidents. I have walked him every 20-30 minutes and he comes right in and pees. If you have any advise or tricks, I would greatly appreciate hearing about them. The obedience class trainer has not offered anything more than what I am doing. Thanks.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/29/06, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first question is.... when he pees on your floor, what do you do?
It sounds like you have done everything you can so far with the nice guy routiine, and it may be time to finally get it into his head that this is not going to be tolerated any more!

The next time he pees on the floor, and you can catch him in the act, go crazy..... yell, stomp, chase, make him think he's going to die! Get him outside immediately and then if by chance he will go again out there, give him the biggest YES you can. If he won't just ignore him.

Some dogs are just tougher than others. Some learn quick, some don't. But a dirty dog in the house can make life difficult for sure.

This can be something passed down from the parents as well.... breeding dirty dogs (dogs that won't housebreak, are poop slingers, or destructive) will come back to bite the next generation. Not fun!

Be dilligent!!!! And good luck
FCwire

PostPosted: 02/04/06, 2:00 pm    Post subject: house training Reply with quote

Some advice: I agree with the previous post in that you need to go off the wall when catch him going in the house, and praise the heck out of him when he goes outside. Not sure if an electronic collar would be advised at this point, but may be if these tricks don't work to correct him. My pup, who is 4.5 months now, had obvious issues at first. He would go about half the time inside, so there was some room for improvement. An age old trick is to put a cow bell on the door, and make him hit it just before you let him out. If he goes outside, congratulate him. After a few days, or hours in some cases, he will learn that ringing the bell gets him outside, where he will sometimes go to the bathroom. He will of course then ring the bell ANY time he wants to go out, especially to play, but after a few weeks, he should get over this and you'll have him just about house broken. It may take some further correction, my pup had an accident last week, though it was primarily because I wasn't paying attention to him at the door. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: