German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

hip dysplasia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowrocke

PostPosted: 12/08/05, 11:47 am    Post subject: hip dysplasia Reply with quote

I had a customer of mine call me regarding a previous puppy that they purchased from someone else. they are wanting to know if hip dysplasia can be detected at 7 months of age. the breeder for this puppy is denying that is true. Any info you can provide would be wonderful.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 12/08/05, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pup has hip dysplasia, you would think that an x-ray would show it. If the x-ray doesn't show it at 7-months, that doesn't mean that the pup will not develop it later.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/08/05, 5:32 pm    Post subject: bad hips Reply with quote

I'll agree with Tony... the only way to know if the hips are bad are by having an xray done.
I've heard of vets giving owners some bad advice without having xrays... you have to see it via the picture.
If the puppy is lame or sore constantly, xrays would be in order.
shadowrocke

PostPosted: 12/09/05, 7:24 am    Post subject: hip dysplasia Reply with quote

There have been x-rays taken. The vet that took them called the University immediately. They already have an appointment with them to have further diagnoses done. But the owner is really upset that the breeder is being naive. Telling them that there is no way possible that the pup has dysplasia.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/09/05, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the xrays show deterioration of the joint, or a poorly fitting joint, the breeder has to swallow their pride and accept what they have produced. Even in the best bred litters, with OFA'd parents, puppies can end up with varying degrees of hip problems.

Sometimes there are mitigating circumstances, an accident, poor diet that can make borderline hips not great. Until the xrays are looked at by someone with lots of experience reading hip radiographs you'll never know.

Hopefully once the breeder gets a chance to look at the xrays they will come around in their thinking...... and make appropriate changes to their future breeding plans. Unfortunately some will never accept the responsibility..... let's hope this one is not one of them.
FCwire

PostPosted: 12/09/05, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Hip dysplasia in 7M/O dog Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add my 2c's. While X-rays help, hip dysplasia is just as much a clinical diagnosis, and I would wait to see what the local university hospital has to say (which one?). For example, I have a non-gwp with apparently dysplastic hip joints on X-ray, though has never and probably will never be lame. On the flip side, while things may appear normal on X-rays, dogs can still present lame. Just as common are other diseases of youth, such as OCD (osteochondrosis dissecans) or HOD (hypertrophic osteodystrophy), which may or may not be localized at the hip joint. Dualgwp is correct in saying that even if both parents have clean hips, offspring can develop dysplastic hips, either congenital or secondary to trauma. Good luck!
shadowrocke

PostPosted: 12/10/05, 9:48 am    Post subject: hip dysplasia Reply with quote

The University of Minnesota is the University that the pup will be taken to. The owner told me she will keep me posted. I am hoping that things will work out for them. They know the dog will never be perfect, but they are willing to give it a try.

As for the breeder, maybe after the other diagnoses maybe they will inderstand. Thank you for all of your info and help. I will keep you posted on the findings.
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/30/06, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Hip Dysplasia Reply with quote

Do you know if the hips were checked of the parents of this GWP? Just curious?

Sherry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: