German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Good Play, Bad Play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/20/03, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Good Play, Bad Play Reply with quote

Hi,

What exactly is a good playing behavior and what is a bad one?
I know this sound kind of stupid but our to boys keep fighting over toy's and their chew bones.
I have tried taking them (toy's etc.)away fron them nd only giving them back when they where behaving or played nice, tried to give both of them the same toy and supervised their playing and still their where fighting.

Arthur keeps biting Simon into the neck or side where there is a lot of lose skin. Sometime without chopping down like play fighting or mouthing somtimes until Simon starts howling.
Is he frustated that he cant get the toy Simon is playing with or just trying to figur out who is next in the pecking line.
Simon on the other hand keeps tolarating it until it is to much. Or he will Play fight withhim and then gets rough. He displays a toy to Arthur engaging him to play and then get rough with him.
We keep separating them to stop the fighting, The play nice with each other for 1/2 hour then get rough again.
I know Simon gets very frustated so I am taking him on long walks let him run after his ball do some training so that he can work of the frustation. In the evening we take them both on a long walk to work of the stress of the day.

We would love to get any information and pointers on how we can get them to play without them getting into fights.
They are very protectiv of each other and they teach each other the god and the bad things and sleep in the same bed. All we have to do nowis to teach them not to fight during play time.

Thanks for your help.
Claudia
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/20/03, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs are pack animals, with a dominant dog and more submissive ones. Having 2 dogs or more is creating an artificial pack which, sometimes will be formed by only dominant dogs. The fighting over toys are just an excused to establish a pack order. I personally believe that as long as they do not cause each other serious injury, it is better to let them fight it. The fighting will continue for a while until one accepts the other as the Alpha. Then it will only be peace and caring between them. Strict obedience training is also a must, so that they do not forget in their little querelle that the real dominant one in the pack is you and no one else. Good luck.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cheerio,

We are pretty sure that Arthur will be the dominant Dog. He is only 10 weeks old but has no fear of Simon (8 months) what so ever. We are a littel afraid that Simon will draw blood when he gets to rough with him.
At what age can we let them (mainly Arthur)rough house without anyfear of having mager insuries?

Claudia
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends of the dogs. If the puppy is the one being "attacked", I would let them fight for about 1 minute and then brake them up gently and distract both of them with a toy, or by carrying the pup for a few minutes. This seldom is the case as most adult dog will respect a young pup up until puppy becomes too much and the adult snaps once and all gets calm again. However in your case, you have 2 pups, one older than the other.
If the one being subjected to the rough treatment is the older dog, I would let them sort it out on their own. The weeks old is not likely to harm the months old. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/30/03, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know how the boys are doing.
They are still fighting but they have figured out the rules for themselfes like you said Cheerio.
I am still holding my breath when they charge each other but no insuries have occured so far. We are taking them to a fenced in Area where they can run off the leash and the first time was very scary for us.

Arthur has figured out that he can hide in the low spots and charge Simon from there and Simon has learned to respect Arthur a little more.
Is it normal that they will try to bite or take each other down wile they are running? (Hunting related?)
We saw other dogs that just ran but never really tried to run the other dog over. Simon likes to do that with Arthur.

Thanks for your help.
Claudia
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to run the other one down is not hunting related but male/dog dominance related. Play fighting is very healthy and, unless you are aiming for couch potatoes, something you should welcome. It seems to me that they are doing just fine, and so are you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: