German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Allergies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/14/04, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Allergies Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

we just found out that Arthur has allergies.
Cheerio you were right about the food allergie but without the allergie test we would have never figured on Brewers Yeast, Beet Pulb, Carrots and Eggs. Offcourse he is also allergic to Fescu Grasses, Ash and other things which brings me to my questions.

Has anybody been through the desensitation injection treatment?
Would you recommend it?
What were the side effects if any?

Right now we are switching the food and giving him antihistamines to get the itching under control and hopefully that will eliminate most of the problems.
After the new year we will look at Arthurs progress and go from there to the next step.

Claudia
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/15/04, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The success of desensitization depends very much whether you are dealing with a true allergy or with an intolerance.
Intolerances respond well to the treatment. You give a little of what the dog does not tolerate and slowly increase his tolerance by increasing the dosage.
Allergies however is another matter all together. The dog's immune systeme fights certain elements as if they were foreign, poisonous to the body. In this case, you cannot give any no matter how little to the dog in the hope that he will not react. He will react. The mecanism of the allergy put simply, is as follow:
The body recieves an element which is thought by the immune system to be dangerous. It therefore forms certain antibodies specifically to fight off the ennemy. At this point, because the dog does not have any of these antibody-worriers as of yet, there is no reactions.
However, the second time the dog is exposed to this same element, the now existant specific antibodies will react, bringing out the allergic symptoms.
Thus, to notice any form of allergy, the body must be exposed twice. And thus, by giving a little more from time to time, one cannot rid of the allergy.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/16/04, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cheerio,

So in effect we have to 1. eliminate all the food he is reacting to first , 2. expose him to the other allergen one at a time to find out if he is allergic or just can't tolerate them.
How do we know the diferrence between an allergie or just a reaction?
Does the reaction manifest itself with just the itching , sneezing and the allergie with skin leassions?

We already know that he has a reaction to the Ash because we can trace back the begining of his itching when we started working with Ash in the Shop. Now we need ot find out if he is allergic to it.
The problem will be with the Grasses and Molds I think. Would it be a good idea to try the desensitation program for those elements after we have established Arthurs 0 point to the food related reactions and have eliminated the Ash from the shop?

Claudia
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/22/04, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms in the case of an allergy can be exactly the same ones as those in the case of an intolerance. Usually, the test will tell you if it is a true allergy or a mere intolerance. So my advise is to ask your vet.
The other way would be a trial and error method. Take away all of the food which causes problem, and after 3 weeks of being off these food, reintroduce one very slowly. Very slowly means, to put a smal piece on his tongue and to take it away. Don't let him swallow it. If all goes well after a few days of this, give him a very small piece, meaning the size of an apple seed, and let him swallow it. If it is an allergy, your dog will react. If it is an intolerance, he will not.
Assuming it is an intolerance, increase the quantity very slowly, by using a small amount for a week before increasing it a little.
Remember that intolerance can also reappear, so if the desensitization does work, make sure your dog will be exposed to the food/element on a regular basis once used to it.

Good luck
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/23/04, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cheerio,

The wild bunch will be boarded at the vets office over the holidays so that should help with the elimination of the reaction to Ash.
I will ask the vet if the test results show intolerance or if they are true allergies when I see him.

Happy Holidays
Claudia
devata

PostPosted: 02/04/05, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Allergy Elimination Reply with quote

My first wire had allergies that caused her to constantly rub herself on something, have very red eyes and general lack of energy.

I went a different route and found a person that eliminated her allergies and that was 6 years ago and she's had another day of scratching.

This is done by reprogramming the body to stop recognizing the allergen, whatever that is, as an allergen so the body will stop producing histamine to this item.

This technique is called NAET and I can refer you to a person who does this if you like.

I would not hesitate to ever do this again. It worked so well, I would hate to think of any dog going through allergies when they can be eliminated.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/07/05, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Devata,

Yes, I would be intrested in more information about this treatment.

I'm working with Arthur's breeder and he is right know on a homeopathic treatment with amazing results.
Arthur hasn't been scratching during the night since we started on the treatment. We are also very slowly returning him to his regular food.
He has also been playing in the shop and we haven't noticed him scartching during his inspections. Ofcourse we are always after him when he steals a piece of wood or cartboard to chew on.

We thing that I most likley caused his reactions because I over did the fatty acids and an extra vitamin which also inlcuded the fatty acids after I noticed the rash on his hind legs. Embarassed (always read the label of your vitamins and compare it with your food so that you won't double up)
So we have since gone back to the begining and changed all the things that may have added to the cause of all this.
We will also have his thyroid check during his next yearly fisical exam just to make sure that all is well. Our breeder said that the symptoms may look like an allergie reaction if the thyroid is out of balance. It is supposed to be rare and hard to diagnose so we will have this test done to rule out anything we can.
I will let you know what happend.

Claudia
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/11/06, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

just an update on Arthur's allergie treatment.

We are in the process of reducing his allergie medications and so far there have been no reactions what so ever. Even my Vet was impressed with the results.
Off course the real test will be this spring when allergie season will begin.

Devata, Thank you so much for the info on the NEAT Treatment, even my vet has looked into this option.

Claudia
FCwire

PostPosted: 01/11/06, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Allergy info Reply with quote

Hi Claudia,
Just curious as to which method of allergy testing you had done with Arthur - was it a blood test or a skin test?
-Nick
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/11/06, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

we used the blood test.

The skin test is more time consuming and Arthur would have had to go to sleep, have half his body shaven and then have the allergens put on his skin via a scratch. If the set that were applied didn't show a reaction a differnet set would have to be tested on the otherside of the body.

The blood test works the same but will give you more choices as to what would be the most likley cause.
We choose the complet package testing for all the basic and some that weren't and we had to add them to the test program: like dif. wood species that are in the area, and some we use in the shop, peanutbutter, eggs.
We brought a descripton of the food we where feeding a the time, Etc.

The test was not cheep but we could make instant changes in the food, the beding etc.
The testing company even will give you a print out of foods that are available that will not have the ingrediens that your dog tested positiv for.

Let me know if you would like to know whcih company did the testing.
Claudia
FCwire

PostPosted: 01/11/06, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, because the blood test is less specific than the skin test - the blood test is a "hypothetical" test - what is a dog potentially alergic to, while the skin test determines what the dog is clinically allergic to. You're right, Arthur would have had to have been sedated, though the results are typically a better representation of what he is actually allergic to. No worries, it seems as if he is responding to treatment, which is the ultimate goal! Glad to hear that he is doing better. Food and/or environmental allergies are some of the hardest problems to deal with, because it seems that, much like people, new ones always arise, though a change in environment can sometimes be all that is needed.
-N
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/11/06, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , that is what the vet told as too, but he also pointed out that we needed to narrow down the culprets to accuratly pinpoint which test to perform if we needed to do them on his skin.
As it turned out we would have run out of bodyparts for Arthur to test on since some of the results where quite out of the norm and had doubled the reaction to the one that started it all, the ASH.

Claudia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: