German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training a Puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/03/06, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Training a Puppy Reply with quote

Hi,
I know recently i've been posting a ton, but i believe the best advice comes from people who have owned the dogs. So toby is 7.5 month old puppy and he is the best puppy ever! except when he's doing something bad, but he still knows it's bad because he has an "i'm doing something naughty" tail wag . . .
anyways, i want him to have an amazing life, and as far as activities goes, he does a bunch. We go on walks for about 1-2 hours a day, and since i live in the city he goes with his dogwalker up to a big park to swim and run with about 10 other dogs everyday for about 4 hours. With what I am failing i think, is providing enough structure. Since he is my first dog, I think that he has figured out ways to pull a fast one on me. This is especially crucial when he doesn't drop the dead rat from his mouth and it becomes a game. Or on occassion growling when I wanna get in my bed, or jumping all over me when i come out of the grocery store and literally eating me alive, and not letting us eat dinner, cause he's pushing his face toward the food. I know these are all smaller things in the grand scheme of things, but I don't feel knowledgable enough to deal with them. So, this is my question, we've gone to puppy k, i did not feel the instructor was a good one. I feel since he is A BIG puppy, about 60-65 pounds right now, no fat btw, i need to have full control of him. So, do you recommend taking private lessons with him, or private lessons combined with a in centre training for 1-2 weeks which i ahve heard good things about. Would it be bad for him to be trained by someone else, the basics, and then I would just have the upkeep? Or, the individual private lessons are more recommended. I would love ur input, thanks so much!
btw, i feel that i'm the bad owner who can't communicate with him, cause i haven't taught him the skills needed to behave properly . . ..
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/04/06, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Training a Puppy Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the wonder world of wires! As you have discovered, they are a law unto themselves. You are correct in being concerned about his behavior towards you. He should never growl or jump on you. I have two wires, one 11 yr old male and one 3 yr old female. This is not the breed for the first time dog owner. My male, Doc, was a handful - he started jumping my six foot fence at 6 months of age. He could clear it from a sit! It took many years and lessons plus help from other sporting dog owners to get him under control. He needed structure (which I was giving him) but not in the correct way.

You need to get help from a professional & stop this behavior now before he hurts you or someone else.

Cathy
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/04/06, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it be bad for him to be trained by someone else, the basics, and then I would just have the upkeep? Or, the individual private lessons are more recommended. I would love ur input, thanks so much!

You should go to class with Toby - he needs to learn what you want him to do and you need to learn how to make him do it. These are smart dogs and quickly figure out what they can and cannot get by with. A professional trainer is going to be very successful with him in a very short time but - Toby will still know that he can get by with a lot of undesirable behavior when alone with you.

Good luck,

Deb
walltentwire

PostPosted: 01/04/06, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that professional training is your best bet. Not just for the dog, though, for you as well. It sounds to me like there is a considerable amount of old fashioned dominance behavior occuring here. Be this dog's master first, then his friend. I'm sure I speak for many on this board when I say that I'm keenly interested to see how this pup turns out for you.
Please share with us.....
How did you come to decide that a GWP was the dog you wanted?
Did you know that several references exist in the literature as to the difficulties novice handlers face with this breed?
Are you considering hunting at all? or flyball? Any more formal "mission" training?
I myself was a first-dog GWP owner. But I chose one because I am an Upland Hunting maniac and I devoted hundreds and hundreds of hours to training my pup. I can honestly say to you that without the mental focus of serious field work, I suspect my dog may have developed behavioral problems. As it is, he knows he is going to get his chance to hunt, and I think it helps him stay more relaxed at home. But he IS pushy. Anything we let him get away with he will try again.
Good luck, I wish I could get a chance to work this dog on wild birds. I'll bet he'd make a wicked gundog.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/05/06, 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your input! Here are the questions to your answers . . . my mother owned a gwp female when she was growing up in Hungary. When I decided that I wanted to get a puppy, it was actually between a vizsla and a gwp, which in hungary they actually call a german vizsla. I never really came across any difficulties with novice handlers, but as somewhat of a type a personality myself, i wouldn't expect anything less than how smart toby is. my favorite time with him is when we cuddle in the morning lol
as for hunting, umm, thats def a no. i was thinking of trying natural ability with him, but that's about it. what it comes down to, is i want him to be a happy puppy and not be mean . . .he's done an amazing job with some things, for example, in the park he's never needed to be on the leash, cause he always comes when called ect.
i just wish that these dogs would be more popular in new england and there would be more people who I could talk and meet about this breed. most people in boston have never even seen this type of dog . . .
please feel free to ask more questionsand i would love more input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: