German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Umbilical Hernia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointon

PostPosted: 06/03/05, 11:56 pm    Post subject: Umbilical Hernia Reply with quote

Anyone out there have an opinion about an umbilical Hernia?

My pup has one and my vet is strongly recommending me to get it surgically repaired. The breeder is advising me to give it some time to see how it might heel.. He has not said not to get it fixed, he's just seen them before so he's not overly concerned about it.. However, I have never had a pup w/ a hernia so naturally I lean towards the cautious side.. So, I'm trying to figure out if I should just let it heal itself or take the vets advice and get it repaired.. I should mention that the vet is even more adiment that I fix it if I'm possibly going to breed her.. The answer to that is... possibly?? I'd at least want to keep that option available...
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/06/05, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the vet encourage you to breed a dog with a genetic defect? The hernia should be repaired, and the unless the breeder sold you the pup at a greatly reduced price, the breeder should cover the cost of the operation.
pointon

PostPosted: 06/07/05, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not my understanding that an umbilical hernia is a genetic defect. It's caused by the mother not removing the umbilical soon enough or inappropriatly. I know there are other types of hernia's but both the vet and breeder say this is very common... Not a genetic defect..
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/07/05, 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask the breeders, they will tell you that it is not a genetic defect. If you ask the vets, they will have to see the hernia before they can determin whether it is genetic or the dam did it. Most vets that I have talked to will admit that gentics is often the reason for an umbilical hernia.
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/27/05, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Umbilical Hernias Reply with quote

There are different types of hernia and some are genetic. Read about them here. http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/umbilical.html

I would venture to guess that most breeders really don't know what things are hereditary let alone how they are inherited.

I know people that have breed a second litter/repeat that had entropian in the first litter and were surprised when it showed up again in the repeat. PLEASE - that is simple recessive genetics and both the female and male have to be carriers for puppies to express that problem and it is 100% genetic.

Just because people breed dogs, doesn't mean they know anything about it. Do your research from scientific sources when it comes to genetics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: