German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Scared stiff and .....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundowner

PostPosted: 11/16/05, 7:33 am    Post subject: Scared stiff and ..... Reply with quote

My 6 months old pup Max goes through periods of being scared, sometimes even when anther dog (which we can't see) barks in the distance. I read about this issue in GWP's but wonder when it stops?
Another thing with Max is, that he is trying to mount any other dogs. Bitches or dogs, doesnt matter what Laughing Laughing Laughing
I haven't seen him "being excited" as such, but, do I have to watch this behaviour? Laughing Laughing Laughing
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/16/05, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of normal behaviour at this age. Don't reward it, don't reprimand it. Try to ignore the "I'm afraid of everything" act, or encourage him to check it out.... but don't talk sweet to him when he is being silly like this. That will only tell him you also are concerned.

The mounting is just his way of trying to figure out who is the top dog in the situation... they'll figure it out by themselves.
Jon

PostPosted: 11/17/05, 10:35 am    Post subject: Scared Stiff Reply with quote

Have to disagree with much of Dual's comments. This is NOT normal behavior-pups this age should be confident, inquisitive, sensibly cautious but quickly adapting to new circumstances. I would get this pup involved with different activities that bring him into contact with new situations. Take it slow, be supportive-don't go to the circus tomorrow. If the pup is fearful simply let him work it out and be calm. Pup must learn to confront new situations and learn that nothing bad comes out of them.

Your pup is probably mounting other dogs because it is trying to assume dominance-find a more dominant position in the pack. Don't make a big deal of this but discourage him/correct him. If he continues this into adulthood, you will have problems.

There is one danger with a fearful dog of any breed-it is rare but you should be aware of it and that is that a pup deals with his fear by becoming aggressive. Nothing you have said leads me to think that this might be the case-but you need to know it. If this should happen you need to contact your breeder ASAP.

Probably just a puppy stage and this pup lacks some confidence. He can grow out of it with some good old common sense, careful exposure to new situations, etc. If I may be blunt, I would not breed this dog-his fearful behavior is a serious temperament flaw. A little patience and he may become a fine pet.
Sundowner

PostPosted: 11/18/05, 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your comments. I think I need to clarify that even though he is at times scared he is certainly curious afterward.
I can't remember what the guys book was called but it was specifically written for GWP's. He says that GWP pups go through phases of being fearful at 3-4 months and then again at 6-8 months. He seems to be right so far!
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/27/05, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Puppy Temperament Stages Reply with quote

Yes, fear periods usually show up around 8-12 weeks and again from 6 mos could be through 14 mos. Just pay attention to their behavior during those periods of time and don't put them into situations that are overload for that particular dog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: