German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Lymes Vaccine Safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roundtuitfarms

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 8:08 am    Post subject: Lymes Vaccine Safe? Reply with quote

Several years ago I made the decision not to vaccinate my dogs. I didn't vaccinate for Lymes for two reasons--1) one report indicated that ~30% of the dogs vaccinated for Lymes developed an auto-immune arthritic response, and 2) my own family doctor recommended against having myself vaccinated because of the auto-immune response and 1 yr later, the vaccine (for folks) has been taken off the market.

I'm getting a new pup this spring, and am interested in reaquainting myself with the facts. While I 'trust' my vet, I don't trust blindly. I'd like to hear what you think. Thanks

Joe
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe - we don't vaccinate for Lymes for those exact same reasons and I don't believe any of the info you have has changed.

Also, according to my vet, once you do vaccinate for Lymes then your dog will forever test positive for Lymes. So if your dog happens to be in the number that still acquires this disease it will be a lot harder to diagnose.

And I believe that if caught early on, the treatment for Lymes in dogs is just a course of antibiotics. Safer than risking the shot!

I will be curious to see what others have to say though as that time of year is rapidly approaching.

Ann
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a post from a vet on the DD-List that the new Lyme vaccines are much safer than the ones that came out a few years ago. I don't remember all of the details, but he did state that the best protection is to keep the ticks off of the dog with products like Frontline and flea and tick collars.

I've been using Bio Spot for the last 4 years and I always swim my dogs after they have been in the field. I don't remember the last time I had to pick a tick off of one of my dogs.
maverickdvm

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a test that you can use to test dogs for Lyme disease even if they have been vaccinated for Lyme disease. You just have to know they are vaccinated when you send the test in so you ask for the right one, it is called a Western Blot test.
And yes, tick prevention is the way to go. That can't be stressed enough. Lyme is not the only disease to worry about from ticks. If I lived somewhere that Lyme was present, I would use one of the newer Lyme vaccines on my own dog.
You can also get a feel for tick borne diseases in your area by calling the Public Health Department.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks maverickdvm! It's nice to have someone knowledgeable in this field reply to questions!

I'll ask my vet about the new vaccine. We are in an extremely high tick area and Lymes is a real concern.

Ann
maverickdvm

PostPosted: 02/16/04, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a new Heartworm test by IDEXX that also includes Lyme antibody and E. canis(another tick borne disease). It is only a couple dollars more usually and is a good screening tool for at risk kennels. It is not a definitive test, but it is easy to do once yearly with your HW test and may help you make your tick decisions.
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/27/05, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Lyme Disease Vaccine Duration of Immunity Reply with quote

The lyme vaccines are safer, if there is such a thing, however the immunity lasts MONTHS. That means yearly vaccines if you feel you can not overload your dog's immune system and do it so it's most effective during high tick season.

I live in central MN where ticks are PLENTIFUL. Two of my dogs have had Lyme's and caught very early and treated successfully. I've chose to not give the vaccine and just pay attention to my dogs. You need to know the signs, because Lyme disease can be horrible if not treated.

Just something to consider was we start the new year and a new tick season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: