German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Indy's Rescue Success Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indy

PostPosted: 11/23/05, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Indy's Rescue Success Story Reply with quote

Hi all-

We adopted a GWP in February. I've wanted to post here, because (no surprise to you all), he's just the best dog - big-hearted, curious, intelligent, with a fabulous sense of humor, and a tremendous athlete.

My family has always adopted dogs - I grew up in the country, where we rescued "dumped" dogs all the time. Because of this, I believe very strongly in adopting. I was scouring the adoption pages for months, wanting a mid-sized friendly, athletic dog with short hair.

Indy had an odd picture posted, but I knew at first glance that he was ours. We thought he was a lab mix when we adopted him, (I had never heard of a German Wirehaired Pointer - what a mouthful!) but we've had a number of people come up with arms outspread - "A GWP!!!" they say.

We think he's probably purebred, or close, though it really doesn't matter to us. He's liver, with shorter hair, but that characteristic beard. He has won our heart, and as a "thank you" to the Denver Dumb Friends League, where we adopted him, I sent his photo in to them. The Dumb Friends League cares for about 28,000 pets a year. It has a quarterly magazine, and Indy is now the Cover Dog for the Winter issue. I'm including the picture here, with the snow trapped in his beard.

(If you want the full news letter, you can go to www.ddfl.org for the .pdf, but it's a huge file.)

He's a phenomenal runner, which as marathoners is important to us. We don't hunt him, but we run/camp/hike/go everywhere with him. We're between races, so today we exercised him from a bike. He sustained about 19 mph, with that happy lolling tongue that he gets when he's having a ball . . . amazing.

I've been watching the board from time to time, and have enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thanks for reading ours!

Nisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: