German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

my girl is sick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/27/04, 9:52 pm    Post subject: my girl is sick Reply with quote

We took her to the vet yesterday foor a hind leg issue. she will not put any weght on it when standing. Vet said she was running 103.4 temp not real high but slightly elevated. he said she could have an infection in the outer covering of her bone in her leg due to rapid growth. has anyone heard of this? we are also keeping close eye on her and have noticed her stumbling when trying to get up and favoring the leg when walking. she has also tried to jump up and not been able to. we also have noticed her feeling real warm to the touch on her whole body and nose. Please any suggestions on what we need to be watching for we do not know if we can handle losing another girl at a young age. Deja is now the age Millie was when she died last summer. we are a little apprehensive.

thanks,
mike and denise
Rollick

PostPosted: 01/28/04, 10:48 am    Post subject: my dog is sick Reply with quote

Has she been tested for Lyme disease? If not, you should do so asap. Good luck.
Rollick
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/28/04, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though lyme disease is from ticks? She has never had a tick one her, we try and keep a really close eye on that same with fleas.
Rollick

PostPosted: 01/29/04, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct: deer ticks do indeed convey the disease. They are incredibly tiny, so often a dog (and even humans) can have the tick on them and never know it. I've had problems finding them on my GSP, much less my hairy ol' GWP. Maybe you are fortunate in your neck of the woods not to have Lyme, but it is running rampart around here and getting worse. Nowadays whenever we have a horse or dog that presents with a strange, inexplicable lameness, we always test for Lyme--and unfortunately it comes up positive more often than we'd like. The good news is, if you identify it (the earlier the better) you stand a good chance of treating it quite successfully.
Well, it's at least worth asking your vet about. Until recently, our horse and dog vets pooh-poohed the idea that the disease was as prevalent as it is and wouldn't always test--but they are learning to now. I hope your girl is feeling better and that you have already determined what's going on with her and that she's already on the road to recovery.
Cheers,
Rollick
akwire

PostPosted: 02/05/04, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Your girl is sick Reply with quote

Your vet may be talking about (Eosiniphilic Panosteitis aka-Eopan).
Believe me, the only reason I know the term is my dog was experiencing a sort of wandering lameness at about 7 mos. of age and was diagnosed with it by my vet. My understanding is it shows up on xrays pretty well. The pain may come and go and affect different limbs, but is rarely if ever a permanent condition. A couple of days of no activity at all and my dog was fine.

One thing to be aware of though is that Eopan is an indicator for Von Willenbrand's disease so you'd probably want to have the blood test run for it if EP is the diagnosis.

Hope this is of help.
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/05/04, 7:21 pm    Post subject: What's for Dinner Reply with quote

Mike you have received a lot of good advice and starting points for solving this problem. I am left with a few questions: How old is the pup? What feed had the breeder started the pup on? What are you now feeding and how much? What is the pups weight? Do you have any running weight scale on the growth and development of the pup? Have you checked with the breeder to find out if any of the litter-mates are having any problems, and what and how much they have been feeding? Also, how much do the litter-mates weigh?
I know that these question may seem pretty standard, but I always try to eliminate the first tier problems before I try to address the next level?
cheerio

PostPosted: 02/06/04, 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akwire, you are probably right in suspecting Panosteitis. However, let me correct some of the information.
Panosteitis , also called Pano, and generaly refered to as wandering lameness, is nothing more that what we, as children called "growing pain".
It is more commun in large breed and quite rare in smaller breed. It typically occurs between the age of 5 months and 12 months in the limbs. Each limbs has two bones, attached at the knee or the elbow. Pano occurs when one of these 2 bones grow faster than the other. It is suspected when a dog experience pain in one leg then another, and it is easily diagnosed by an X-ray which will show an increase bone density in one of the long bones.
Although any dog can have growing pains, it occurs more often in males than in females and in some breeds, among which the GWP, more than in others. No one knows the cause, but an inherited predisposition is suspected.
Crate rest and, on occasion in the worse cases antiinflamatory and analgesics are prescribed, althought not necessary as the condition is self limiting and all dogs recover without any effect by the age of 20 months, usually much sooner.
Finally, Pano has absolutely nothing to do with the Von Willebrand's Dis. which is an insufficience of Factor VIII (one of the cloting factors) in the blood. The Von Willebrand's once believed to be rare is now known to be the most common blood disorder, not only in animals but also in human and is strictly inherited. It is very common in breeds such as the Doberman but not in the GWP. There are no cure for it. A little cortisone can be used over a period of a week prior to surgery to avoid excessive bleeding.
akwire

PostPosted: 02/06/04, 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerio,
Thanks for elaborations on Pano. I'm not really sure you "corrected" anything there but it does sound like you have a lot more background on this topic than I do.

The info. I mentioned on von Willenbrand's was from my vet and taken from a website which I believe is a vet resource site. (www.vin.com) The actual page reads,

"Panosteitis is frequently found in dogs with an abnormal factor VIII or von Willenbrand's disease and therefore dogs with Panosteitis should be checked for von Willenbrand's disease."

I'm pretty sure my vet didn't just add that in so I'd spring for the blood test on top of the xrays. AmmoMike it's probably worth looking into if that 's the diagnosis you got.
cheerio

PostPosted: 02/06/04, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I have never heard of this corrolation nor can I find anything in my Vet books including my Veterinary Merk Manual (The Vet's Bible). I will ask some of my colleagues and will make sure to investigate the matter further. After all, medicine is not an exact science as of yet and various believes do float around and definitely merit to be considered...

Did your dog test positive for the VW's? Did your vet do the test when your dog was a pup?
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/07/04, 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Do you have any small children at home? My lab came up lame one time
and I suspect on of my kids had tried to play horsey. Never prooved it, but they head a lot of people refer to the dog as being big as a horse. That next bird season she had knee surgury. My GWP was only about 10-11 weeks old and he was playing with my 3 year old niece when she took off running and my pup knocked her down and she fell on his right hind leg. He was yipping and wouldn't put his foot down. I ran to him thinking his leg was broke but about 3 seconds later he was running like nothing happened. Needless to say I never let him loose around young children again. After going through two dogs with knee surgury I am leg injury paranoid with my little (not so little anymore) pup. Hope all is well with
your girl and she has a speedy recovery.
Jim
akwire

PostPosted: 02/07/04, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerio,

I had my pup tested at 8 months of age and he was not positive for VW. He's 11 months now and hasn't had any more bouts with Pano either.

As I mentioned, I was at the mercy of my vet for information on the Pano/VW correlation. Please let me know if you find out anything more.

Thanks
oliver

PostPosted: 11/12/05, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Hind Leg Problem Reply with quote

Hi there,

I found this bulletin board just in time. Seamus just turned six this fall so no more growing pains but he is experienceing the exact same symptoms. The vet gave a suspected 95% accurate diagnosis of torn crutiate ligament but after 4 S-Ray slides, he couldn't see a tear. The little guy had a lymphoma scare about two years ago and so now I fear the worst.

Any final diagnosis on the original posting?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: