German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Holding Point and Flush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksuwcat

PostPosted: 08/13/05, 11:43 am    Post subject: Holding Point and Flush Reply with quote

I have heard several positions on allowing a dog to flush the birds on command. Do you think it is better for the hunter to walk up and flush the bird after point or let the dog flush on command? Our dog is still learning the trade and we want to do it right. Any advice in this area would be great.
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/14/05, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Holding point Reply with quote

I prefer to have my dog`s steady through the shot! I feel if the dog does the flushing, he is more likely to chase& or leap at the bird& be in danger of getting SHOT!! I hunted 1 time& 1 time only with a guy that took a Lab to flush the bird`s after his dog pointed.I told him to keep his dog at heel when my dogs pointed, as I did`nt like the idea of another dog roading in to flush in front of my dog`s!! I have a daughter at K State are you close to Manhatten?
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/15/05, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chinchy. My dogs are steady to wing and shot. It's safer for the dog and the dog can mark the downed bird better and If it's a covey of birds they won't flush the whole thing.
Jon

PostPosted: 08/23/05, 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the GWP genetic stock came from Denmark in the 50's and 60's. Its interesting to note that in walking trials in Denmark, dogs are expected to be steady on their birds, flush on command and then sit on the flush and wait to be sent for the retrieve. If you are hunting alone (especially for grouse), having a dog that will flush on command after you have gotten to the best vantage point is a VERY useful dog.

Since Labs are taught to "Hup" on the flush, I'm sure that a GWP should be very capable of learning this. If you are training a hunting dog, this would be very useful. If you intend to compete, don't do it til after you are done with the games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: