German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

UGLY ON POINT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skmpaints

PostPosted: 06/22/05, 5:10 pm    Post subject: UGLY ON POINT Reply with quote

Hi, I have a gwp, who has the ugly's point that anyone in the field has seen. She is a great runner and scores very high, she has no problem tracking down birds, but when she finds one, she tucks tail and crouchs down like a cat ready to pounce on a mouse, but will hold tight until you flush the bird. After the bird flys she all gun hoe to chase and get the bird. What can I do to fix the problem because the judges are failing her because of her point.

Thanks
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/18/05, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the GWP? and I take it you feild trialing. If not there is no failing a dog for an ugly point. When training and she points come in from the side so she can see you and stroke her tail to get it to stand up and praise her. good luck. too me there is no such thing as an ugly point some just look better than others Laughing

Last edited by gundogguru on 07/21/05, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon

PostPosted: 07/19/05, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD pro trainers have used the e-collar to "style up" dogs on point with success. This is not a technique that the amateur should attempt.

Since pointing and style are important and central to competing in the field, I'm not sure I would try to "fix" such a dog. Wouldn't the title (if you get one) sort of be misrepresentation? Let the dog be a good hunting dog but go get a pup with more natural style and desire and play the game honestly.
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/21/05, 5:21 pm    Post subject: All Points are Good Points Reply with quote

Right Cross to Jaw of Judge – I’m with Gundogguru there is no such thing as an UGLY Point. I am having trouble understanding Jon’s comment about “get a pup with more natural style and desire and play the game honestly.” Seems to me the desire is pretty high and style in the eye of the beholder. Playing the game honestly is the part that turns the corner for me. With my wife, my kids and my pups I ain’t playing and that’s honesty. Now to your question: I would work this on the bench. If you have access to live pigeons rig up a harness and be able to drop it down in front of the pup as you bring him/her on to the bench. Pup hits point, you whoa (or restrain pup), you smooth down pup and polish up the point. If you are country, barns have pigeons, if you are city – Animal Control sometimes has a guy they call to get rid of pigeons - for hunters he is a good guy to get to know.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 07/22/05, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: UGLY ON POINT Reply with quote

skmpaints wrote:
she tucks tail and crouchs down like a cat ready to pounce on a mouse, but will hold tight until you flush the bird.

Why don't you post a picture of her "on point"? We may be able to give you some advise if we see what her "point" looks like. Have you been running her in JH tests?

Quote:
Right Cross to Jaw of Judge

Dave,
If you don't want the judges opinion, don't enter your dog. Rolling Eyes
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/22/05, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Don't enter Reply with quote

Tony I agree with you and I Don't and I Don't.
Jon

PostPosted: 07/26/05, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stand by my comment. If you want to breed great hunting dogs, you breed dogs that have all the natural abilities NOT the dogs that can be trained to win. EVERYONE wants a certain amount of style on point. Finding a way to manufacture what is not there does not profit a breed. I
Likewise, if you want great coats, you breed great coats, not "made" coats If you want style and manners on birds, you breed dogs with those natural instincts. Made dogs don't profit a breed-only the ego of the owner. If the dog is just going to be a family/hunting dog-no harm done. Its when folks start to believe their titles that breeding "made" dogs is dishonest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: