German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

rattlesnake bite vaccine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leslie Swisher

PostPosted: 06/03/05, 8:08 am    Post subject: rattlesnake bite vaccine Reply with quote

Hello All,

Sometime ago I read a brief article about the newly developed rattlesnake bite vaccine for dogs. I looked through all of my GWPCA newsletters at home, but did not find the article. I searched this website and came up empty. Does anyone out there have the article or know how I can find it. If memory serves, it was penned by a GWPCA member.

Also, if anyone has any additional, current information about the vaccine (e.g. efficacy, risks, side effects, contraindications), please post a reply.

Thanks,
Leslie
Leslie Swisher

PostPosted: 06/09/05, 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find a web address for the company that makes the rattlesnake bit vaccine. http://www.redrockbiologics.com/ Apparently it is not yet available in all states.

I am still hopeful that someone can direct me to the article about the vaccine I read a while back. Memory being what it is, the article may have not been in the GWPCA mewsletter after all.

Leslie
Anita
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/06/05, 10:42 am    Post subject: Too new to tell Reply with quote

Hi Leslie,
I just talked to my vet about this and she hasn't heard anything good or bad about the vaccine as it is such a new product. She did mention that people are ordering it left and right from the company. Her and I agreed that the best thing to do is to wait and see. She said that if she does hear anything about it she will let me know and I will definetely post the new info here.
Does anyone else have any more information? I am very curious as I live in an area with a lot of rattlers and I'm constantly worrying about my pups.
Thanks in advance.
Anita
Anita
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/06/05, 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie, I just found the following info on University of California - Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital's website:

"Canine Rattlesnake Vaccine

The canine rattlesnake vaccine comprises venom components from Crotalus atrox (western diamondback). Although a rattlesnake vaccine may be potentially useful for dogs that frequently encounter rattlesnakes, currently we are unable to recommend this vaccine because of insufficient information regarding the efficacy of the vaccine in dogs. Dogs develop neutralizing antibody titers to C. atrox venom, and may also develop antibody titers to components of other rattlesnake venoms, but research in this area is ongoing. Owners of vaccinated dogs must still seek veterinary care immediately in the event of a bite, because 1) the type of snake is often unknown; 2) antibody titers may be overwhelmed in the face of severe envenomation, and 3) an individual dog may lack sufficient protection depending on its response to the vaccine and the time elapsed since vaccination. According to the manufacturer, to date, rare vaccinated dogs have died following a bite when there were substantial delays (12-24 hours) in seeking treatment. Recommendations for booster vaccination are still under development, but it appears that adequate titers do not persist beyond one year after vaccination. Adverse reactions appear to be low and consistent with those resulting from vaccination with other products available on the market. The product licence is currently conditional as efficacy and potency have not been fully demonstrated. Based on existing evidence, the UC Davis VMTH does not currently recommend routine vaccination of dogs for rattlesnake envenomation, and the vaccine is not stocked by our pharmacy."

Here is the link:
http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinfo/info/genmed/vaccinproto.html
Anita
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/06/05, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done searching the internet and there is a lot of information about the vaccine. Despite the fact the UC Davis VMTH does not recommend it since there hasn't been formal studies done, a lot of people claim it does work. I think I will still wait to see but I am slowly leaning toward giving it to my dogs. For now I will just carry Benedril with me (that's what my vet recommended) and pray we don't see any rattlers.

Ps. Here is few links to the articles

http://www.agiltracs.org/snakebite_article.pdf

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/sportingdogs/columns/character_ben/2030630.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20050304-9999-1s4outdoors.html

I hope this helps. I'm still looking forward to hearing from other members though. Thanks. Anita
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: