German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duncan

PostPosted: 06/27/05, 12:16 am    Post subject: Training questions Reply with quote

Wondering if anybody has tried this. This guys link came up 2 different ways when looking at other sites. We have a 7 month old neuterd male GWP we got from a breeder in Illinois. (He was 5 1/2 months old when he came to us). We also have a 6 year old female Vizsla and a 2 1/2 year old son. Duncan is our first GWP and it seems like we learn something everyday about how different he is compared to other breeds that we have owned. We want very much for him to intergrate into our family as he is such a sweet boy and has already found his way into our hearts. Our dogs get about 2 1/2 hours of outside excersize a day (usually with thier GSP friends) and have MANY toys and chew bones inside the house. We are experiencing the usual jumping, chewing, destroying, knucklehead behavior that everyone says GWP our known for and we are coping with that. ( we have been training him with an electronic collar and are having great results) What is making us a little weary at the moment is that sometimes when our toddler wants to be next to Duncan, sometimes wanting to hug him, Duncan will growl at him. He has not bit him, even when given the opportunity but we are obviously worried about this possibility. Is this something he will grow out of? Every other moment they are together Duncan is affectonate and loving to him. For the 5 1/2 months he was with his breeder he was socialized with children. Although it has not happened in about 2 weeks I think of it when watching them together. If anyone has had a familiar situation or has a suggestion I would welcome it. We want to do what we can to make our home the one that fits best for Duncan.

We have allso tried kenneling our GWP during the day while at work, about 3-4 hours a day. 90% of the time, even after having a potty break before he goes in his kennel, he will defecate. And of course he then steps in it and so on....very frustrating. We went with this for 2 weeks until we could handle it no longer. He did great out of his kennel while we were gone, the occasional magazine was made a toy, but we are faced again with kenneling as he has become "Duncan the Destroyer" and "Duncan the trash diver". Has anyone else had this problem in the kennel? Any suggestions?? By the way...when do GWP's grow out of their Knucklehead behavior?

thanks

Pointer Training
How To Train Your Pointer
Fast With No Hitting Or Scolding
clikdog.com/3/Pointer_.php
walltentwire

PostPosted: 06/29/05, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have as much experience as a lot of the folks on this board, but I'd be awfully careful about that dog being around a 2 and half year old child. Don't forget wirehairs can be very dominant animals and they have been bred to hunt, not to be patient with kids. Its unfortunate you couldn't have gotten a wire at 8 weeks and personally socialized it from the start.
I notice my wire has a very long memory when it comes to things he doesn't like, and an even longer one when it concerns something he knows he shouldn't do but would like to try to get away with, like opening baby gates, cupboards, laundry hampers, stripping off clotheslines, stealing stuff out of my toolboxes,digging up the garden, etc.

As far as "growing out of it" in the destruction department, wires also have reputation for being a bit slower to mature than other breeds, (although thankfully in my case at 15 months we had all this housebreaking stuff and unsupervised chewing out of the way) As sweet and gentle as my dog can be, there are times, especially in the field, when its obvious he is a determined predator. Just the other day, my wife remarked to me that he could really hurt someone if he was inclined to.

The bad news is that there are some wires who really are scrappers. I hear tell of a local wire so eager to scrap that its owner can't field trial him.

It would be tragic if that dog hurt your child, my advice would be to just not give him the opportunity. You can always get a pup if you have to give that dog up to a childless household. Its just my opinion, but you won't be able to turn the clock back if that dog injures your child.

That being said, I'll bet that wire will soon be your favourite in the field if you work him a lot. I doubt if I'll ever own another breed. Good luck.
Grant Johnson

PostPosted: 06/30/05, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 10 year-old GWP Moses isn't so great around kids as well but he has got better over the years. We do not have kids but we have a couple nieces who Moses now loves. With our nieces it was a matter of not letting them get right in his face, which kids are apt to do... When a youngster is introduced to Moses we tell the child to say hello to Moses and give him a scratch on the rump (which he loves from anyone!). This introduction works very well and we have not heard Moses growl at a child in years. Maybe it a matter of stressing to your and other children that some dogs do not like close facial contact and just would like a kind word and a scratch on the back....
My guess is that Duncan will grow out of this but it may take a bit of diligence and some caution...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: