German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Nasty Gas!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/12/05, 11:23 am    Post subject: Nasty Gas! Reply with quote

We've always used Science Diet and have never had any problems. But boy, just the past week, our GWP has had lots of NASTY GAS! He has also been eating grass and throwing up a bit - not lots but I can tell he isn't feeling up to speed. He does got to the bathroom - not runny or bloody, but man, IT STINKS just like the GAS (duh)

When our lab had a sensitive stomach, the vet told us to get off the commercial feed and give her rice and lean meat. Which I've been doing the last couple days, but wonder if I shouldn't think about going to the vet.

We've had a lot of rain and some mushrooms/toadstools crop up in the yard - but we're out there when the dogs are in the yard and didn't see them eat any. I don't have any other plants out there that would cause him a problem.

He has been chewing on a big rawhide...and I took it away from him since I didn't want him filling his stomach with anything else but the lean meat/rice mix. And he doesn't eat socks, rocks, sticks...

Just trying to figure it out --- and wondering if this is where the vet steps in...
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/14/05, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I gave up and took Baron to the vet this a.m. - - he was still vomiting and having a lot of loud stomach gurgling - plus, the same old - nasty gas. I swear - he was eating more grass than a horse.

The vet thinks Baron may have picked up a bug (bacteria or virus) that settled in his intestine. Nothing twisted at least or blocked (so far - that's what I was worried about).

The vet gave Baron a shot to relax the spasms in his intestine and a shot to help him with vomiting. Then, two different pills twice a day.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Baron hasn't munched on grass all day...Running around like a wild man - he acts like he feels just great!

This a.m., the lab vomited too...the vet said, it could be catchy just like humans get stomach flu.

About ten days ago the coon hounds who live across the street got out and came over to our yard. They were nose to nose with our dogs (who were behind our fence). These poor hounds live in deplorable conditions - filth - they are thin - it is awful but being a small town can't do much about it with the local law. We took the hounds back home but washed our hands, clothes and kept our shoes outside (it is really that bad over there).

So, wondering if the hounds could've been the source for "the bug" - Any thoughts? Is this possible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: