German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

It was tough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/19/05, 6:36 pm    Post subject: It was tough Reply with quote

I haven't been on for a while, I had to make the gut wrenching decision to have my best buddy put down this Feburary. To make a long story short, bloodwork showed a BUN level of 130. The vet mentioned this is the type of results you would see from anti-freeze or some other sort of poison. I can not imagine poison be cause the only time that may have happened was the first of November when he ran off while hunting, got him back the next day. If he did get into something in that 24 hours I would think it surely would have taken a much faster course. My vet told me however if it were poison he should have been in a coma at that high of a bun level happening all of the sudden. He felt it was probably a problem all along and his body was able to adjust until it couldnt go any longer. I took him to MSU for a second opinion which was the same. I had all the vaccinations ect.

I spoke with my breeder and he was terrific, supportive of my desicion, which lifted a huge burdon of guilt off my shoulders. I always kept him informed of the progress his "boy" was making with training and in the field. He is truly a great breeder, goes above and beyond for his owners.

I have since researched a lot of material about kidney failure and see some symptoms that may have tipped me off sooner. Bad breath for instance, I never thought it was too bad but my daughter commented about it before. Dogs with kidney problems may have a chemical type odor to their breath. I was skepitcal about his vision. He had to sniff out the treats I'd throw to him, I just figured it was because the were almost the same color as the carpet.?? He didnt seem to have problems with a stick or a ball in the yard. I also thought his teeth, although very nice, had a little more tarter than I thought normal at a year old. Lepto? Had the shots for it and it suppossidly is not prevalant in my part of the state but not impossible. No lawn fertilizers, anti-freeze or rat poisons around. Never got into cupboards where cleaners and such are kept.

I never would have thought a dog could ever have such an effect on me but there is something about wirehairs. My only concern with getting another one is if I can keep from holding him to the standards Kyser has set.

If anyone has any input, comments or thoughts I would like to hear it.
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/02/05, 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry to hear about the very difficult decision you had to make. Crying a dog is not a sign of weakness but one of strength. Kyser was a very special boy but so will your next dog. Loosing a dog is in our modern times very much like loosing a best friend. A best friend is not one that we replace, it is one that we love no matter what, no matter his fault, no matter his needs, no matter the number of shoes he destroyed or the number of times he refused to come when called. Your next dog can also become your best friend, if you allow yourself to love him, no matter what. His qualities will be different but so will his flaws. If you choose to stay with the same breed you are likely to find certain personnality traits similar to those you enjoyed so much in your Kyser.
When Kyser passed on, a light went out. It is for you now to decide whether you wish to turn on another light.

For Kyser:
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: