German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

training for blinds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryf

PostPosted: 04/30/05, 9:17 am    Post subject: training for blinds Reply with quote

First time posting here.

I've had one GWP that I lost in an accident at only 2 1/2 last summer. He was ff, whoa broke, steady to shot and did a great job on our guide service. I will be looking for another pup/started gwp in the future....my question is how do most train for blind retrieves? I'm just about to start cold blinds with a couple of my labs but I've never seen a pointing breed do a blind retrieve or heard if there are any different training methods.

Cory
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/01/05, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Blinds Reply with quote

They are trained the same way as Labs or other retreivers.
I dont pressure a young dog at all. Lots of fetching and marks only(singles) until 9-12 mo. I then incorporate a pattern blind.

Once your youngster is steady(8-12 months), throw dummy-command back or fetch and give a line. After 1000 of these, your ready for a blind. Pup should know with a line, there is something there. Start easy and build up as far as distance. If possible use a scented dummy or bird, and go 25 yards or so. Id work on land 1st and then transfer to water. you can go with a dummy pile and work that system later as well. It is what it sounds like. A pile of dummies. Let em retrieve them all, 1 at a time of say 4-5 dummies. Later when youre ready, you can go to baseball drill and Over commands (1st,3rdbase)as well as cast for Back(2nd base)

Works like a charm for me, but not my system. Got this from retriever journal years ago and has yet to fail me.
coryf

PostPosted: 05/01/05, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me rephrase this:

I've got a senior level lab and a master level (4 passes) lab so I know how it's done with labs......ff, walking fetch, stick fetch, collar fetch, 3 handed casting, force to pile, t, tt, swimby, pattern blinds and so on. I guess I'm wondering how you stop the dog so it's looking at you to take a cast. I trained other pointers I've had to whoa on a single whistle but they would stop the instant they heard the whistle and may not be looking at you to take a cast, never trained any of them to handle or do blinds. I've seen wires that were taught to sit too, mine didn't, just whoa (standing). I've heard it said that handling training isn't done quite the same way with versatile breeds as retrievers. Just wondering for when I get my next wire.

Cory
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/01/05, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Blinds Reply with quote

Cory,
I guess you can do what works for you, and what you expect from your dog. I only Whoa with my voice. My dog usually hunts in sight and is broke, so I use whistle -1 blow- to stop and sit-for retreiving. In field, 2 blows is over/switch direction and 3 is come. There are a few ways to do this but this is what I use. .
I train my dog and expect it to cooperate just like a Lab, or any retreiver for that matter. I think youll find the right GWP or DD can work as well as the Labs. Maybe not mark quite as well, but I find the nose to be far superior, plenty of drive, and while a little more independent and not as mechanic-I prefer the wires in the blind. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: