German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Dog Food
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abbyw

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 2:33 pm    Post subject: dog food Reply with quote

hi. i just switched my dog abby to Wellness dog food. she seems to like it much better than the innova. i think the innova started to bother her tummy and she was having really bad gas! does anyone have any opinions on wellness?
wiscobob

PostPosted: 02/13/04, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I agree this is an interesting thread. I to have fed Science Diet to my dogs for as long as I have owned them with no problems.

My question would be if you were to feed a commercial dry dog food which would you obviously knowledgeable people recommend. Just a list of two or three.

What do you all think of this food? http://www.canidae.com/

Thanks
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/10/05, 11:38 am    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

I too have attempted the RAW diet. My dog loved it, but I hated it. It was a pain to feed and prepare and we had a bone scare as well. I ve tried every food imaginable and my dogs have suffered through the less than nutritious and tasty foods. You name it (7+feeds including Innova) we tried them, some were better than others. (Never used Canidae though.)

Im now using a product called Royal Canin, and simply put it is amazing. Ingredients are top notch, digestibility is reportedly 95% with sensitive food brand. They have a Peformance food thats 30Protein/30 fat that I cant wait to use in the Fall. I hunt 3+ days per week from Oct to Feb.
I still supplement with fish oil/egg, occasional meat scraps/venison but Ive never seen dogs devour their food like this one. It is on the pricey side, but cheaper than going to the Vet. Ive noticed significant energy gains as well, and the coat has never looked thicker or shinier. We combated thin coat this winter which didnt help in the January duck blind w/ temps in single digits. Coat cleared up in about 45 days after switching. FYI.
PS. I have noticed Science Diet in almost every Vet office Ive been to. Makes me wonder a bit. Never heard great things about it either. There definately are better feeds out there. Imight give it to a junk yard dog, not a serious working dog. Euk Prem. was pretty good, but still is behind the Royal IMO, for those interested.
Fuz

PostPosted: 04/11/05, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told once that the Science Diet company has an 'agreement" with vets to sell their products- as in $$$$$$ incentives- dont know if its legit, but seems to make sense dont it?
Fuz

PostPosted: 04/11/05, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told once that the Science Diet company has an 'agreement" with vets to sell their products- as in $$$$$$ incentives- dont know if its legit, but seems to make sense dont it?
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/13/05, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Feed Reply with quote

Fuz-Im not sure about incentives. I guess for the average dog, a food like Science Diet isfine and a Vet could recommend it. For a real working dog, I know its inadequate.

I noticed a difference on Euk Premium, after having tried others over the years including Diamond Prem, Nutro, Purina, Sams, Innova, Eagle Pack. Euk seemed to be a little inconsistent lately and so I tried Royal Canin. I read about it on the Net and tried it a few months ago.
The dogs devour it and the hair/skin looks the best it ever has. The energy levels have really increased too to the point of the dogs driving me nuts. They require more work now on a daily basis, which is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: