German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Liver Jerky/Treats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/24/05, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Liver Jerky/Treats Reply with quote

Is anyone making or have made liver treats for their pup? I would like to find a recipe for liver jerky that would work as pocket treats for my dog. I am thinking dry heat with a marinate of lite soy and garlic, but if anyone has one that they have used or know of any reason why my suggestion could cause problems I would appreciate your help.
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/25/05, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply slice the liver a few milimeters think, soread it on a sheet of wax paper and put it in the over at 200 F. for about 20 minutes. Depending on the liver you use, and how thick you chose to slice it, you may have to turn it over and put it again for another 10 to 20 minutes. I do not use any flavoring ingredients. I do not like using garlic as it tends to become bitter when over cooked.

Yes, there is a health consideration when using liver as treats as if given too often or in too large a quantity, it will cause diarrhea.
You can also use heart, which does not cause any digestive problems.
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/26/05, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cheerio, I appreciate you response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: