German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Seperation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete

PostPosted: 03/07/05, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Seperation Reply with quote

Within the past few days I'm starting to have a seperation problem with my 2 year old female. I've had her since a pup and now all of a sudden she has a real big problem with being left alone and it doesn't matter what the time frame. Within the last week she has completely destroyed two wire crates that she has always been in and I'm worried she's going to really hurt herself during one of these frenzies. Nothing in our lives has changed and I'm at a loss as to why she is all of a sudden she is acting like this.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/07/05, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something DEFINITELY happened. Something you don't know about perhaps...
In any case, start buy trying the Rescue Remedy from Dr. Bach. It is an extract of several flowers, all natural, and take the edge of anxiety away. 3 drops in 3 cc of water. You can give her up to 5 drops. Or you can put it in her drinking water. It can take a few days to work.
There is also a natural product called "Home alone" It also works well but can make your dog a little sleepy.
If this is still not enough, go see your vet. Like for people, there are som prescription anti0anxiety drugs that works very well in modifying this type of behaviour. Avoid Prozak which can have some serious side effects.
If you can break the cycle for a few weeks, she will relearn that being alone is no big deal.
If you have an opportunity to have someone check around the house several times a day and listen for particular noise, you may also find out what the source of her anxiety is...

Good luck and let us know how things go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: