German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Losing hair on the top of his nose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/23/04, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Losing hair on the top of his nose Reply with quote

Recently have noticed a hair loss accross the tip of his nose in a "V" pattern about 1/2 way back to his head. He hasnet been afield to ware it off, doesnt seem to rub it off. Vet looked at it and said the skin is healthy, he was stumped. Is this some sort of puberty thing they go through? Allergy? He was a year old in March.
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/24/04, 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for you Kyser: are you sure your dog goes not dig in his yard?
Often, digging with feet and nose does create the loss of hair you are refering to.

Just an idea...
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/26/04, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not digging, rubbing, other than his beard after eating or drinking and the skin is not irrated in the least. I think I will try switching his food. He doesnt eat much but I would like to get some weight on him, healthy but thin. I was feeding Iams but the association they had with HSUS caused me to switch. I now feed Diamond Professional but he doesnt seem to fond of it. Seems I've noticed a little more dander than before.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/26/04, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not digging, rubbing, other than his beard after eating or drinking and the skin is not irrated in the least. I think I will try switching his food. He doesnt eat much but I would like to get some weight on him, healthy but thin. I was feeding Iams but the association they had with HSUS caused me to switch. I now feed Diamond Professional but he doesnt seem too fond of it. Seems I've noticed a little more dander than before.
cheerio

PostPosted: 08/28/04, 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your dog is active, thin, and having a little problem with his coat, it may be worth checking his Thyroid. A simple blood test will do
Kyle

PostPosted: 01/26/05, 5:03 am    Post subject: Nose Reply with quote

My wirehair has thinning nose hair, which I thought was pretty strange.

After reading these responses again Cheerio hits the nail on the head.

I've owned so MANY wirehairs, the one I have now is a rescue. She is so different from my other wirehairs. She is the first dog I've ever had that burys things! She is not a digger - like under the fence or anything at all. She does enjoy peeking thru the knotholes in the fence at our neighbors yard full of rabbits and cats!! (Such cruel neighbors) She might be rubbing the hair off on the knothole too! The funniest part is watching her cover it up - WITH HER NOSE - PACKING IT DOWN, hidding it real good. She never leaves a big hole, sometimes she will just bury it under leaves. (my yard does not look like I own a digging dog)
She remembers every single one she had hidden too! She will bury a buscuit at my sisters house in the mountains and the next time we go up there she has to check it out. Make sure it is still there. She has brought some pretty disgusting ones in - I can usually get her to trade me for one with a little less mud on it when I catch her bringing it in too gross. Even funnier is she will bury anything in the house too. She will hide a buscuit under a blanket left on the sofa, or under the newspapers, a toy under my pillow on the bed. She has a favorite "baby" (lambswool gingerbread man shaped stuffed toy) She has to take everywhere with her! If she has to go out to pee, she'll find baby first. Then when she wants in - it's almost as though she waits till I open the door for her then she makes a big deal out of running to get her "baby". Each new "baby" she has ever been given, on arrival must have the squeaker "surgically" removed by her and most the stuffing pulled out. (She likes them thin- and quite) Now isn't that just like a woman!
The plain lambswool "babies" last the longest - no eyes or nose to chew off. I can even wash it in the laundry in a netting when baby looks pretty bad. Baby usually sleeps with us too, or will be under her chin when she is napping. Sometimes it's a game - she acts like she is keeping it away from me if I get too close.
Life wouldn't be near as much fun without my beautiful bearded lady.
Kyle & Anika
I can't imaging life without a wirehair!
Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: