German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Just Rescued a GWP from the pound.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKGWP

PostPosted: 12/12/03, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Just Rescued a GWP from the pound..... Reply with quote

I'm new here and new to this breed. We live in Alaska and while in Fairbanks yesterday we decided to stop by the animal shelter and take a look. We were on the hunt for a companion for our retriever mix Sam, of course what we had in mind and what we got are TWO different things!! Laughing We were originally looking for a small dog, maybe 15 lbs or so. After looking around we came across Weston, according to the tag on his cage he had been there for 3 weeks and was an owner turn in for destroying the house.

He was brought into the visiting room and immediatly tried to impress us with his tricks, something the shelter worker said she had never seen him do, usually he just wanted outta there asap. So, home he came. Not sure of his age, we are figuring between 1-2 years old, he's very playful, housebroken, knows commands and tricks. Only problems so far is major separation anxiety......we kennel him when not home and he loves to chase and point at the cats.

It was listed on his cage at the shelter that he was a german wirehaired pointer mix, but after looking him over and looking at the breed standard and pictures, we are confident he is a purebred.

Soooo, any tips on this breed would be appreciated, we have had hunting dogs before and do hunt some in the fall. We plan on working with him and making something of him. He gets along with Sam fine......other than being a little overbearing and rough. What a cool, silly, comical dog Weston is, we love him!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/13/03, 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with Weston, and thanks for giving him another chance!

If you will go through all of the various threads on this site, I'm sure many of your questions will be answered, and may bring up new ones as well.

Bernee Brawn
Justa GWPs
K2K

PostPosted: 12/21/03, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKGWP:

Please keep us posted on how Weston is doing!

I had seen him on Petfinder, I'm so glad he found a home with you!

GWP's ARE comical (albeit naughty), it seems they do their best to find things to make you laugh. Mine wags her tail at me as I'm scolding her, always the class clown thinking she can win me over with good humor.

Patience, consistency, and more patience. That's the key.

Best,

Karen
AKGWP

PostPosted: 12/21/03, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Heartbroken...... Reply with quote

I wish I could say he was doing great. However, 1 week ago today someone decided that they liked Weston and wanted him for themselves. He was stolen out of our yard. I let the boys out to potty and stepped back inside for less than 5 minutes, when I called them back only Sam came back. My husband rushed home from work thinking that maybe Weston had just run off, but after looking and looking there was no sign of him other than by the car tracks that stopped by our driveway. It was 20 below zero, he would not have run away, he was very bonded to Sam. We are heartbroken. We have not stopped searching and hope that maybe we will find him again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
K2K

PostPosted: 12/22/03, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about Weston....

Karen
Beths

PostPosted: 12/23/03, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Poor Weston Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your loss of your new pal. We just recently lost our 7 mos. old GWP and its always sad when you aren't able to explore the dog/companion friendship further. Thinking of you during this hard time, when its supposed to be a season joy.
Kyle

PostPosted: 01/24/05, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Stolen Wirehair Reply with quote

I too had my wirehair stolen. He was so friendly and trusting he probably didn't have a clue he wasn't coming back. To make maters worse this wirehair was my son's. When my son was killed in 1995, his dog almost died too, from depression - I'm sure. It was even hard at first for me to get close to "Bull" because my son was never without him. It took a long time for him to accept me as #2. I can't imagine why someone would steal a family member! There are so many wonderful wirehairs to rescue.
Fuz

PostPosted: 01/25/05, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a sad story to hear- and a warning to the rest of us to be vigilant with our dogs- wherever we happen to be. On another note- there are some deserving rescues out there right now that would love a second chance- check them out!
Fuz

PostPosted: 01/25/05, 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a sad story to hear- and a warning to the rest of us to be vigilant with our dogs- wherever we happen to be. On another note- there are some deserving rescues out there right now that would love a second chance- check them out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: