German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Is this a GWP or Griffon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunc

PostPosted: 01/04/05, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Is this a GWP or Griffon? Reply with quote

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3833965&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=41d867c43470cae3-app1&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
I am seriously thinking about adopting him but was wondering what type he was. In my research I have found that I am fond of both breeds from what I can gather through reading so it doesnt matter too much which one he is as I admire them both. But it would be nice to know.
cheerio

PostPosted: 01/04/05, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be a Griffon, but it is just that, a guess. I have seen papered GWP with a coat that makes them look like a Griffon and vis versa, so it is hard to say. The Griffon is usually smaller size, but there again, hard to tell, you could have a smaller GWP or a bigger Griffon. The Griffon is said to NEVER bite, so if he bites, it is a pretty good indication, although individual differencies being...
My guess is that you shpuld go see him and see if he feels more like one or the other and then, decide.
Unless...he is tattooed or chipped in which case you may be able to track down the breeder, and then, you will know for sure!
Good luck, and good decision, Beau seems like a dog that definitely deserves a second chance.
Dunc

PostPosted: 01/04/05, 11:34 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

As for visiting, when I go I would not know the difference, I am familiar with, labs, cocker spaniels and german shorthairs but I dont think I could tell the difference. But from reading a various breed descriptions it seems your guess is a good one as Griffons it seem tend to be squatter and have a wider head. I have seen a german short hair before but I have never seen a griffon outside of pics on the net.
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/05/05, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunc
After reading about the great qualities of this dog,my question to you is what difference does it make what breed he is??? Im sure he will make you a loving pet & hunting companion no matter which breed he is. The poor dog has lost his owner & best friend to a tragic accident,bet he will try his best to please you after time, no matter what his breeding!

cheerio Your statement about" the Griffon is said to NEVER bite,so if he bites, it is a a pretty indication" makes me Cringe!!! What are you implying, that by biting the dog is a GWP, POOR statement from a GWP forum moderator!!!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/05/05, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna guess it's a GWP. I've never seen a Griff quite as lightly colored as that.
cheerio

PostPosted: 01/05/05, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yes, I am not only implying but clearly stating that if it is true that a Griffon never bites and this dog does bite, it would be an indication that it is more likely a GWP. This is not a poor statement, but only logic. Are you arguing that some GWP have been known to bite? Some GWP just as most breeds can bite, you only have to read this board to know that this is a fact. This is not to say that the GWP is a biter, but merely than in opposition to the very rare characteristic of the Griffons who are said to NEVER bite, the GWP as a breed can bite. And as a moderator, I think it is only fair that I recognise the GWP as he is, but my job really is more of insuring that members of the board can express their opinions and ask questions while still being respected and while respecting other's opinions.
Now, you will note that I did ad "individual differences being..." I meant by this that no matter what is said of the Griffon, I am presuming that you may have some Griffons that bite as well... So in fact, it may not be a full proof indication, just as the amount of hair or his size...
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/05/05, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back several times and reread the story on this dog. No where does it say he bites!!!! It says he killed a chicken!

Cheerio, can you tell us where you read a Griff NEVER bites?
I don't believe a well bred, well socialized Wire is any more prone to bite than any other breed on the face of the earth. One that is not well bred, not trained nor socialized can be a royal pain in the butt, and a danger.

Dunc, the only way you will ever really know which breed it is, is to hope the rescue will try to find out for you through whomever turned him in. Either way, he could turn out to be a terrific dog for you...let us know how you decide.
Dunc

PostPosted: 01/06/05, 12:03 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

After reading about the great qualities of this dog,my question to you is what difference does it make what breed he is??? Im sure he will make you a loving pet & hunting companion no matter which breed he is. The poor dog has lost his owner & best friend to a tragic accident,bet he will try his best to please you after time, no matter what his breeding! " end

I completely agree with this statement note my original post where I say the same thing. Very Happy

I was just wondering out of curiosity so if I end up with him and some one asks I could give a clear answer. But its no big deal.
cheerio

PostPosted: 01/06/05, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dualgwp, I have never said this dog bites. I was simply trying to think of the differences between the 2 breeds which could help us identify this dog.
As for my statement that a Griffon never bites, it is something I have read many times and that was told to me by Griffons fanciers. Now, as I said, individual differencies being...

I do agree with you, a stable GWP is not more likely to bite than any other breed. The only thing is that according to the Griffon people, a Griffon is far less likely to bite than any other bread. Now, I have no personal experience as to whether or not this is a fair statement. Only that it is the Griffon's reputation!
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/07/05, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know the one on the left is a GWP. The picture of Beau reminded me a lot of our guy & thought Dunc may like to see a comparison.

You can never be sure of what Beau's breed is only by appearances but I agree with Dual that the lightness of Beau's coat is an indication that he may be a GWP. I'd also note the darkness of the liver on his head - the grifs I've seen have had lighter colored brown fur. In addition his size would be pretty big if he's not a wirehair. We live in griffon rich country & although some have been close - I've not seen a grif as large as our male, who at about 70 lbs is smaller than Beau. I have seen a few 80 pound GWPs.

Deb
cheerio

PostPosted: 01/07/05, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy you are right, they DO look a like! Maybe they are related...
Can I change my vote? Rolling Eyes He may be a GWP after all!...

Dunc, any news, have you been to see him? Did you take him home yet?
If you are not going to take him, please let me know so I can see if we can get him into a foster home asap.
Thanks
ANGUS
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/14/05, 11:44 pm    Post subject: GWP or Griff Reply with quote

This dog looks to me to be a GWP,he has a very similar look to a dog that a friend of mine had brought back from Germany with him...the nice dark rich liver colour,his eyes are darker than a griffs are as well...and I know I will get my head bite off for saying so,,but its nice to see that he has his tail still as well......he looks like he will make a great addition to your family....I love having my wire inside with me...he makes a great alarm system....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: