German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

controlling my dogs range
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheerio

PostPosted: 12/29/04, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I have to step in in the middle of such a wonderful holiday to remind certain of our members that the tone of your replies MUST stay courteous?

Omar, although you are free to use as many icons as you wish in any of your post, your previous and heavily "iconized" reply did not translate into the explaination you gave in your following post. So you may consider to simply say what you mean, and without any judgement please. Nothing is absurbed, some things work and others don't. Not all methods are for all dogs which do not always responds in the same way, especially when considering rescues.
You do have a valid point when you state that hiding for your pup generally does not teach him recall. However, it is a good tric to teach your pup that listening to your owner can be a lot of fun. It can set a very positive attitude for the dog for when he will be trained formaly. I believe that you are absolutely right in that most dogs when faced with a couple of birds on the trail, will rather chase after them than after their owners. Perhaps you could expend a little on this, this is not only a valid point but one of great interest to many of us.

As to the rescuing of a GWP, I think that any fancier of the breed will be pleased to hear of a person who enjoys giving a second chance to an abandonned GWP, or 2. So LuckyDawgs is definitely to be congratulated and does not deserved to be talked down even by the best of us.

So people, please, take a deep breath and remember that if you can't say it with a smile (with the help of an icon or not Wink ), simply don't say it, no one is interested.
birddog
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/29/04, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cheerio"]You do have a valid point when you state that hiding for your pup generally does not teach him recall.

Let me speak clear on this. It is the misinterpretation of what some of us post by Omar and the other 2 that has implied even to you Cheerio to think by hiding on a pup will shorten range or control recall. Never have I said that or implied that. The original post stated he lost his dog. I mentioned to hide on a pup simply will teach a pup to scent you and find you. Once they learn to scent you, the chances of loosing your pup or the pup loosing you are brought to a minimum. It helps to keep the pup aware of where you are. Even in the heaviest cover a dog can smell where you are and will work back using his nose without you saying a word if this is taught at a young age.. Recall is done by a command. Either by voice or whistle or ecollar. I stated that at the distance Oldsoul's dog had ranged he probably was out to far to hear the toot. If we are to help our posters solve their problems do you think it right to the ones who answer them to have people with issues take things out of context and change the intent? When I answer a post because of the username system I really do not know who is asking the question or who is jumping in to discredit the person who is trying to help. Perhaps a cure for this would be to insist on all posters to have a legitimate profile to help eliminate the frauds. As moderator I would hope you could recommend such a procedure.
Janet
oldsoul

PostPosted: 12/30/04, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to update everybody on how things are going for me and my pup. She and I progressing more and more all the time. I have not experienced anything like the situation in my origional post since. That was an isolated incident that I think I probably overreacted to. I must be careful not to expect TOO much of her during her first year. She is still learning how to take direction and I am still learning how to give them. I must remember that I didn't buy a cold, infallable, bird finding machine but rather a sensitive loving animal who, as one poster put it, really does want to please me. As the "master" in this relationship, I owe it to her to be patient and understanding while she figures out what is expected of her. She loves to hunt and is almost beside herself whenever I get out my hunting gear. I'm sure she knows more than I give her credit for. I'll be honest, I do get frustrated @ times but I think that probably says more about me than the dog. Folks, once again thanks for all your input. OMAR- I asked you "what's with the smiley faces" because I thought I detected an aire of condescension. If I was wrong then I apologize. I do like smiley faces and sincerely hope the new year brings many of them to you and yours.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/31/04, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyDawg,

Your dawgs are very lucky in deed. Folks like yourself are very special.

Omar, I believe the question was asked, "how to control a dogs range."
Not how to extend range. The three bird puppy line, is a line of birds planted let's say ten yards apart. Puppies are led into the first, second and third birds. After the third or fourth session with the line, most puppies will blow past the first two planted birds toward the third bird. Why, because it is a memory bird. Might also have something to do with starting to control a dogs range through repetition. When they do this, it is time to plant the next line starting where the third bird was planted and extend the line. How far, depends on the handler. I believe this is a great way to expose puppies to birds and to start developing a range which I am comfortable with. Might be a gimmick, but it gets me out there with my pups and works for me.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/01/05, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will Omar, and all of the other user names you have used throughout the years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: