German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

potty problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowrocke

PostPosted: 11/15/04, 3:53 pm    Post subject: potty problem Reply with quote

I have a GWP that has a problem. He is 7mo old, and he pees in his pet porter and in the house. We have disciplined him. We can let him outside.....watch him go potty.....let him in and he pees on the floor or in his kennel. Any suggestions?
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/16/04, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that sure sounds like a bladder infection to me! Was he previously trained and this just started? I think I would consult your vet.

Ann
Eric
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/16/04, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I find that works best is lots and lots of praise when he does it outside. Don't just let him outside, take him outside and to the same place. It feels like extra effort but given how much quicker he will learn you will be doing both of you a favour. Even when he doesnt appear to be listening to you tell him anyway how clever he is.

I have an 8mo old male and it sure took some patience but one day it just clicked with him and he has been excellent ever since. When he did make a mistake I didn't make a fuss, just sort of grumbled to myself as I cleaned it up - "who did this?" The guilty look on his face told me he got the message.

This is going to make some people gasp but I haven't crated my pup since he was 6 months old. I am away at work for 9 hours so I leave him lots of treats and toys and of course have puppy proofed the house.(no exposed cords, shoes put away etc). I do have another dog in the house with him so perhaps that helps keep him calm when I am away.
When I go on car trips or to shows or trials with other dogs he comes along too and is quite content to spend most of the time in his crate.

Im sure others can give more advice, I just think at 7 months he should be old enough to hold it for a while. If it persists maybe have the vet ck him out.

Good luck and hang in there, it does get better.
shadowrocke

PostPosted: 11/17/04, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pup does not have a bladder infection. The vet has checked him over. He is the first one that I have had like this. We have 6 other Wirehairs and no other potty problems with them. They were actually the easiest to potty train ever. But I will keep up the patience. thanks for your input.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/27/04, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also give him a special treat everytime he went goes outside to reenforce the habit.
This has worked well with Arthur, he was housebrocken within a couple of weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: