German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP Pup and 7 month old Houndmix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/17/03, 10:31 am    Post subject: GWP Pup and 7 month old Houndmix Reply with quote

Hi Smile
We are getting a 7 week old male GWP puppy next Saturday.
The breeder said we would have no problem with Simon our 7 month old hound mix.
We are planning on taking Simon with us to the breeder so that he can meet with his new brother.
Any sugestions on how we should handel the drive back home and how we can make the arrival easier for them when we are home?
Also to make things more intresting we do have 2 cats as well that are used to have dogs around. Should we confine them to a room until Simon and his brother have adjusted to each other or just let them be?
Thanks for your help.

Walter and Claudia Embarassed
GWP Fan

PostPosted: 02/19/03, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have some fun ahead of you!.. You probably won't have too many problems with your other dog, at 7 months old he shouldnt be overly aggressive and will welcome the new play mate. Put the dogs in seprate kennels if you ahve them for the drive home, otherwise just hold the pup on your lap as he will probably be pretty scared durring his first car ride. You cats may be in for a rude awakening! Some GWPs are cat lovers i.e. they taste real good! Personally I would let the cats teach the pup who is boss right away (if they are bold enough) a few swats to the nose may teach the pup to leave them alone, or it could spur him on. Talk to your breeder and find out how the parents do around cats. I lucked out so far with mine because he just wants to "play" with cats and not eat them!
Good Luck.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/20/03, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GWP Fan,

I have spoken with the breeder and she herself has cats in her home so there shouldn't be any problems.
We have a 4 1/2 hours drive from the breeder until we are home so we will use a crate and make a couple of stops.
We are very ecxited about our new Family member and don't want to make any mistakes.
Thanks again.

Claudia
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/26/03, 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just had a question regarding cold weather.
Is it a good idea to put a coat or sweater on Arthur because he is so young. 7 weeks.
He likes playing outside in the snow but gets cold very quiqly and when he nees to go potty he pies but won't pooh because of the cold.

Thanks,
Claudia
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 03/05/03, 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claudia, how's the new pup? How's he adjusting with your other boy. Wow, two young dogs in the house -- it must be CRAZY at your place!

Re: sweaters and cold weather... My now 1-yr-old girl went through a massive hair-loss when we adpoted her out of rescue at 6 mos of age (I believe a combination of vaccines and food allergies). I live in Canada and we've had some mighty cold days this winter. Because my girl's coat is just starting to come back, I found that she shivered a lot under certain circumstances. If she's running, she's okay, but if I'm just going for a leashed walk and it's below -15C, I'll put on a light fleece jacket I have for her. It makes a world of difference.

However, since winter's nearing its end, and your young lad should have a half decent coat, I'd say he's just being a bit of a suck. Once he's moving around a bit more out there, he should be fine. Besides, if you did buy him a sweater, he'd probably only get to wear it a couple times before he grows out of it.

And how's he getting on with the cats?

Illona - who is just now - after 7 months! - able to let the cat out with the dog.
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/05/03, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Illona,

Arthur and Simon get along great.
Simon was really scared when he meet Arthur at the breeders kennel , but know they play with each other and fight as well, mostly over toys that they keep stealing from each other. It keeps me pretty busy until Arthur falls asleep then I get a 1-2 hour break.
He is already crate trained which helps a lot in teaching him not to go in the house and for the fist time he slept through the night.
As for the cats he hasn't shown any intrest in them. They are mostly high up so that Simon can get to them but in time we are hoping that Arthur will accept them as part of the family.

How is your girl doing with her coat?
How did you know that she had a food allergie? Are there any pointer except for the chewing on their feet and scratching?
Please let me know so that I can keep an eye out for the signs.

Thanks
Claudia
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 03/05/03, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claudia,
So glad to hear your boys are getting along. From my own experience, let me recommend that you get in there whenever there's a disagreement between Arthur and Simon, especially at this young age. You do NOT want to have dog fights in your future and then be forced to rehome one of your boys. You need them to know that YOU are the top dog in the house and that you don't tolerate ANY snapping or fighting in the pack. In my own opinion (and I'm not a trained behaviorist) I would make this a HUGE deal and don't be nice about it. You gotta be firm on that, otherwise they'll always be testing your boundaries, getting into fights behind your back, etc. But again, I'm basing this only on having owned a father and son German Sheperds, my own experiences, and a lot tons of personal research.

My girl's coat is doing okay. She started to fill out nicely, and in the past couple weeks started losing again. It's not normal for her to shed very much at all, so it's a bit of a mystery. The coat's thinning again. I've switched her back to our 'control' food - Solid Gold Holistique - figuring maybe it was the earlier switch to California Natural that brought it on. Also, she's had gunky ears a bit lately. Very mild. And again I think it may have to do with the food.

When she had her severe food allergy and literally stopped eating for a week, she started with vomiting and spots under her forelegs, then gradually moving over her body. The vet thought it was staph infection, but I learned otherwise. The drugs the vet gave her made her violently ill. She needed some time to recoop, the eliminate the food (lamb) from her diet. You can also look for frequent and huge bowel movements (a sign that their body's not absorbing all the nutrients), flaky skin, hair loss, minor infections (ears, bladder, eyes).

Illona
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/05/03, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Illona,

Thanks for the tip on fighting. We have been stoping them when they were getting to verbal but have not really enforced it. We will start paying more attention to the fighting now since we will not give up one of the dogs.
Actually Arthur is the one that will start the fight more often than Simon and we think that he will be the domenant dog. On the other hand Simon will stalk Arthur when he is running away from him and will try to push him down.
We never had two dogs before so we are very intrested in what is a wrong behavior and what they need to figure out for themselves.

I may have a solution to the ear thing. We had a English Cocker that had cronic ear infrection, the vet told me to use a vinigar and water solution (1:1) for every day cleaning. It smells bad but it worked.

Have you tried the eukanuba brand dog food? Simon was very badly underfeed when we got him form the SPCA and started him on Iams then switched him to eukanuba and he is doing great. He gained over 10Lb in two weeks and is now a proud 60Lb and growing.
We called the company and asked them questions regarding their food. (received a bad bag from iams and they sent us a 30Lb bag eukanuba and a case of puppy treats)
Maybe they can help you with the food allergie that you girl has. I think they have a website.

Thanks again for the tip.
Claudia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: