German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Not sure if GWP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PING

PostPosted: 10/28/04, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Not sure if GWP? Reply with quote

I adopted a dog from the SPCA that I initially believed to be some type of terrier mix. After reading up on GWPs I am starting to believe that he is a mix of GWP and perhaps some type of retriever??? I am attaching photos of him at about 6 months. He has much curlier and longer hair now along his back and around his feet and is quite a bit bushier around the face. Does anyone have any ideas what breed he might be or might be mixed with? I ask also because he has a tightly curled tail that makes me question his breed.

http://hgwha.com/misc/petey.html

Thanks for any ideas!
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/28/04, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the dog appears to be part GWP but I do not know with what. I have never seen a GWP tail ours is clipped. I hope someone else can help you out. Smile

Denise
Fuz

PostPosted: 10/28/04, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color is the tongue? The tail looks like a Chow with that tight curl.....if the tongue is black its a good sign. Anyhow- it sure is cute & Ill bet you love it no matter what the 'mix' is. Very Happy
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/29/04, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess he is a full blooded Lithuanian Toad Flusher. This is a rare and ancient breed that was used in Europe to flush toads and gather tadpoles. According to legend, the toad business dried up and they had no other use for the breed. So that's why it's so rare today!

Sorry, just joking. I would guess he's a little bit of this, a little bit of that, with maybe a Terrier or some other rough coated breed that passed by one day. Maybe a rough coated Jack Russel and chow mix? That tail reminds me of a Basenji, but they are pretty rare as well.
Definitely not a GWP... doubt there is even one in the background anywhere.

But, no matter...he's a cutie!
PING

PostPosted: 10/29/04, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithuanian Toad Flusher! that's a good one. I think I'll tell people that just for a conversation starter. I'll have to perfect the story though...gotta make it totally believable. Very Happy

I originally figured he was pretty much an unknown mix...he is a cutie...and we do love him...he's a great dog...whatever he is.

Regarding the tongue...it's bright pink...no Chow mix there I don't think. But I do love his tail...and I think he's not sure about it either because he loves to chase it.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/29/04, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he point birds?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: